Fly Fusion Forums

Plse Be Careful When....

Some of you know that I fly fish with my very best Fur Friend Fischer, well last week he got deathly ill on a trip, Acute Renal Failure! How neither I nor the veterinarian, have figured that out yet.

He has said that with all this rain, and the warmer weather that some of the types of poisonous plants and bacteria and virus are at their heights, so Please be careful, I would not wish what I or Fischer just went through on my worst enemy.

He is home now due to the wonderful work and care of veterinarians and staff at the Family Pet Hospital and 24 Hr Pet Emergency Center here in Lethbridge, His kidneys will be compromised for the rest of his life, which I plan to make as comfortable and happy as possible.

This is how Fischer should be..

IMGP0037-1.jpg

IMGP3810.jpg

with his buddy Thor

IMGP0029-2.jpg

Not like this, no Pup should be like this ever!!

IMGP0004-1.jpg

IMGP0005-2.jpg

Sorry to hear about your dog. How does one prevent this?

In this case it is a true mystery as to what caused it!

So only vigilance as to where he/she is, what he/she is eating, playing in, and being around, I would dear say that watch your neighbors, and what they leave around also.

I have wracked my brains and gone over every minute of the trip and can't come up with a single obvious thing that would cause it!.

I feel like I let my best friend down and IT WILL NOT HAPPEN AGAIN, That is my promise as an owner and Soldier, I will not fail!

I'm sorry to hear about your dog, hope it all comes out well for you and your pup - but sometimes there's very little you can do to protect them...

I lost my girl over 3 years ago, she got away from us and as far as we can tell she got into mouse poison - I asked the vet straight up if poisoning was a possibility when she got sick and she said no. It wasn't til it was too late that she said yeah, she was poisoned and by then there was nothing that could be done. After 3 years, i'm still not over the loss of that little dog. Hard to believe how fast they become a deeply entrenched part of your life and i'll never find another like her.

The best you can do is try to keep them safe.

Thanks for the information as we have a 5 month old pyrense and she is always sniffing/exploring when we take her flyfishing. Will shorten the leash to keep her closer to us. Best wishes to your dog on a speedy recovery.

I hope everything is going well and Fischer is on the mend. As I'm really attached to our mutts, I feel your pain.

Just a heads ups on Toxins for dogs:

As few as 7 grapes or raisins can cause renal failure in dogs.

Other foods that are toxic to dogs: onions, chocolate, cocoa, avocados, and macadamia nuts.

Regards Mike