Fly Fusion Forums

Parks Regs - Typo

Hey y'all

Pretty well everywhere in the National Parks regs that say July 7th, should actually say July 1st.

Figured I would share this in case your friendly VRC rep inadvertantly forgets to mention the typo when you buy your license and get you copy of the regs brochure.

PGK - you may start fishing on July 7th - LOL - <--poke--<

Rob~

Hey y'all

Pretty well everywhere in the National Parks regs that say July 7th, should actually say July 1st.

Figured I would share this in case your friendly VRC rep inadvertantly forgets to mention the typo when you buy your license and get you copy of the regs brochure.

PGK - you may start fishing on July 7th - LOL - <--poke--<

Rob~

Help me out with this.. I noticed and date changes , I am sure only a few locals knew about the changes .. Lakes in Banff and Jasper that usually open Saturday of the May long weekend but actually opened up earlier like Sunday the 16th in Jasper and what the 18th in Banff ?

What is happening for July 1st because the regs I saw were correct for those dates ..Same as last year.

This what I have....

Open Seasons, Special Restrictions and Closed Waters

Banff National Park (BNP)

OPEN SEASONS

Year Round

Bow River - from Bow Lake outlet to east park boundary. No ice fishing on the Bow River. .

May 15 to August 15

Owen Creek

May 18 to September 7

Ghost Lake, Johnson Lake and adjacent inflow streams and beaver ponds, Lake Minnewanka, Two Jack Lake, Vermilion Lakes (3) and adjacent inflow streams and beaver ponds.

July 1 to August 31

All tributaries of the Bow River; North Saskatchewan River and its tributaries; Cascade River and its tributaries except the lakes upstream of Lake Minnewanka; the inflow stream adjacent to Johnson Lake and the beaver ponds upstream of Johnson Lake.

July 7 to October 31

Gloria Lake, Leman Lake, Marvel Lake, Owl Lake, Terrapin Lake, Spray River, and associated tributaries above the Spray Reservoir.

July 1 to November 1

All other waters except closed waters.

SPECIAL RESTRICTIONS

Possession limit of 1 trout on Johnson Lake and adjacent inflow streams and beaver ponds.

Zero possession limit for cutthroat trout and bull trout.

Motor boats allowed on Lake Minnewanka only.

CLOSED WATERS - Year Round

Castleguard River - that upper portion of the river located in the Zone I - Special Preservation Area.

Cave and Basin marsh system.

Fish Lakes - the two Fish Lakes nearest campsite Mo 18.

Forty Mile Creek - vicinity of the water intake reservoir.

Lake Agnes.

Luellen Lake - outflow stream from fisheries' boundary markers, downstream to the confluence of the outflow stream and Johnston Creek.

Marvel Lake - downstream from line formed between fisheries' boundary markers to confluence of Marvel and Bryant Creeks.

All tributaries and associated lakes in the Clearwater and Siffleur River systems, excluding Isabella Lake.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jasper National Park (JNP)

OPEN SEASONS

Rivers and Streams

Year Round

Sunwapta River.

April 1 to September 7 and October 31 to March 31

Fiddle River, Maligne River (below Maligne Canyon), Miette River, Rocky River, Snake Indian River, Snaring River.

August 1 to October 1

Maligne River (Fly fishing only) from a point 420 m downstream from the Maligne Lake Outlet bridge to Medicine Lake including that part of Medicine Lake within a 180 m radius of a point in the middle of the Maligne River where it enters Medicine Lake.

Athabasca River

(Note: the Athabasca River has three fisheries management zones.)

Zone 1: From Athabasca Falls upstream.

Year Round.

Zone 2: From 12 Mile Bridge (Km 22, Hwy 16 East) upstream to Athabasca Falls.

April 1 to September 7 and October 31 to March 31

Zone 3: From 12 Mile Bridge (Km 22, Hwy 16 East) downstream to east park boundary, including all side channels, Pocahontas Ponds and other connected wetlands.

June 1 to September 7 and October 31 to March 31

July 1 to September 7

All other rivers and streams except closed waters.

Lakes

May 16 to September 7

Annette Lake, Beaver Lake, Dragon Lake, Long Lake, Lorraine Lake, Moab Lake, Mona Lake, No Name Lake (Hwy 93 south Km 48), Pyramid Lake, Lakes Three, Four and Five in the Valley of the Five.

May 16 to September 30

Maligne Lake, Talbot Lake, Edna Lake.

July 1 to October 31

Medicine Lake (Fly fishing only).

July 1 to November 1

All other lakes except closed waters.

CLOSED WATERS - Year Round

Maligne Lake Outlet,/Maligne River (the portion including the part of Maligne Lake within a 100 m radius of a point in the middle of the Maligne River where it leaves Maligne Lake, to a point 420 m downstream from the Maligne Lake Outlet bridge).

Jacques Lake and Jacques Lake Outlet stream between Jacques Lake and the Rocky River.

Mile 9 (Km 15) Lake, Hwy 16 (East).

All streams emptying into Amethyst Lake.

That part of Amethyst Lake situated within a 180 m radius from a point in the middle of the outlet stream from the southeast end of Amethyst Lake.

That part of the Astoria River situated between Amethyst Lake and a point 400 m downstream from Amethyst Lake.

Osprey Lake.

The outlet stream from Moab Lake to its junction with the Whirlpool River including that part of Moab Lake situated within a 180 m radius of a point in the middle of the outlet stream where it leaves Moab Lake.

The outlet stream from Beaver Lake to its junction with the Maligne Lake Road.

It seems that the regs have two versions, there are copies floating around with the 7th instead of 1st, obviously the version with the 7th are wrong and replacements have since been printed and distributed, looks like you got the new version - which most people are at this point. It is looking like the typo must be limited to the general waters catagory.

I don't know why the new dates for early lakes - They didn't have any regs printed when I picked up my license so I wasn't aware of the early opening until the next morning at work when a few guys whipped out their digitals and started rubbing it in.

From what you posted it looks like Gloria, Leman, Marvel group actually opens on July 7th, just to make it a little more confusing - anyhoo - looks like your version above is correct.