Fly Fusion Forums

Leaders

LlamaLeach

i say furled leaders are the best. homemade so thats kinda nice. cheap. fast and easy and can custom make. amazing turnover and if dry flying just add a little float to the leader. also can make brighter colours to help see.

i say furled leaders are the best. homemade so thats kinda nice. cheap. fast and easy and can custom make. amazing turnover and if dry flying just add a little float to the leader. also can make brighter colours to help see.

made some furled leaders from flouro as an experiment - for nymphing. not a good plan. Very slow sink rate, I suspect because of the aerodynamics (hydrodynamics?) of the furled surface, but the leader just didn't get down as well.

Love em for dries ( not the flouro, just plain mono), for the turnover, and the flex in differing currents

made some furled leaders from flouro as an experiment - for nymphing. not a good plan. Very slow sink rate, I suspect because of the aerodynamics (hydrodynamics?) of the furled surface, but the leader just didn't get down as well.

Love em for dries ( not the flouro, just plain mono), for the turnover, and the flex in differing currents

I agree with you on that one for the nymphing rig. took some experimenting for me to get mine down there. they seemed to get pushed around with any current below the surface. all i did to correct this was made the leader taper down much sooner so the mass majority of the leader was quite thin. and used waxed thread as small of size as possible. 6/0 or smaller. i also ran the furreled pard a little shorter and a little longer tippet.

Guest JayVee

Aluminum corrodes but the product of the reaction, aluminum oxide, has a fine powdery consistency and actually serves to protect the aluminum from further corrosion. The product of iron corrosion, iron oxide, is just the opposite, flakey and brittle. How's that for nerdy?

Also, 200 years for an aluminum can? Aluminum is an element! What does it break down to? It doesn't corrode, as far as I know.

I think choice of leader will also depend on how often you fish/style of fishing. For example, if you happen to nymph a lot, a high # of days per year and change flies often, you may want to consider making your own with P-Line or going with a good quality, but lesser expensive option like SA.

Perhaps a more relevant question is, when it comes down to hooking up and landing the fish, how much does the leader really factor in? If your skills are up there, I'm sure the leader doesn't matter much. If you're new to the sport, perhaps it does?

I would imagine the strongest factors would be how you play the fish and your knots. All other factors are, relatively speaking, a minute detail.

I make the best leaders. Just buy a spool of leader material 15lb test and 10lb test and then put 6ft of 15lb and 3ft of 10lb, then tippet. If you don't mind the extra knots and a few extra minutes to put leaders on. I like this way because if you find yourself needing to get really deep, you don't have to throw 5ft of tippet on, you can just lengthen with actual leader material.

**edit. It's also a whole lot cheaper