Fly Fusion Forums

Bc License

Guest frypan
Frypan:

You pointed out that using the analogy of comparing hockey games, skiing, and golf, and comparing it to a public resource like fishing is both inappropriate and incorrect. I think you make a good point there.

But! Lets not delude ourselves. Even public resources are not "free". We should not exaggerate our sense of entitlement here. Our "free" public trust resources like fisheries cost money. In fact, one might argue that there is a level of unfairness in the public resources. The reason being is that ALL taxpayers subsidize the public resources, whether they use them or not. SRD, enforcement, regulations, research is all supported by general revenue coffers (with some subsidies from license sales). So, using your reasoning, someone who doesn't like to hike, fish, camp, hunt paddle, etc may validly complain about paying for our recreational use.

So knowing that, the public funded agencies in charge of managing said public resources may feel it is appropriate to levy surcharges to help support specific fisheries. This, of course, is all in theory, and may be corrupted by bureaucratic bumbling (i.e. your $20 does not go towards enhancement of the Elk watershed, but helps stock perch in pond outside of Prince George - I exaggerate).

I my opinion, its not SO wrong on SO many levels. Gov't departments such as SRD are empowered to do these things like daily fees, or walleye tags. While it behooves us to be on guard for slippery slope European style privatization of fisheries, with the current climate of the gov't gutting budgets, not caring about the environment in general, its expected that a user fee style approach might be employed.

BTW, reading my post carefully please note I am sidestepping the issue of whether the BC or AB approach of discriminating against "non-resident Canadians" is appropriate. But, I can say from my perspective, I would support AB adapting a model like BC's (to distinguish between provincial residents). Yeah, I realize that might be unpopular, but c'est la vie. Bottom line is that everyone should pay more for licenses, and those fees should be specifically targeted towards fisheries enhancement.

Smitty

you make good point smitty

however i have no problem paying for licence but over the years the price goes up , less oficer to enforce , our taxes go up by % all the money we pay for lisense, taxes, etc goes to one big pool general revanues.

i am not ok paying the gov more for less over time

they get 100 % of there revanue form one source us - and as time goes on they bleed us for more and more with less in return

it is a big busines like anything else, the differance is they are less acountable than any busines as if the botom line is red they just raise tax, or more fees such as the $20 day

I know my rant is more abouth the government. but it is defanatelty related

Bottom line is that everyone should pay more for licenses, and those fees should be specifically targeted towards fisheries enhancement.

Smitty

Agree 100% with this statement, but home province should not determine who pays and who does not.

I would gladly pay $100 annually for classified water in B.C and would support the same in Alberta. Again with the expectation of having my license checked more than 1 a year!! More CO`s on the beat man.

At the end of the day I strongly disagree with the fact B.C targets Alberta anglers with this large fee...and feel a specific injustice to Alberta residents with properties owned in B.C (even though I am not one of them) as they pay an annual BC tax bill.

Bottom line for me is, although I feel it is unfair, $20 to fish those waters is worth it x10....the quality of the fishery and surroundings is amazing!. I paid $7.50 for a pint the other day...nearly fell of my chair!!(ya ya call me cheap but I am a Co-op gold guy)

My main issue is the attitude I get from a great number of B.C anglers just because I leave across an imaginary line.....back to my previous statement. WE ARE CANADIANS...and I am proud of it.