Fly Fusion Forums

Pheasant Tail

jonn

I was watching on line and saw someone using pheasant tail as a hackle! Does anyone know how he would have split the tail feather? Does it pull apart like Rhea or would he have had to cut it?

It sometimes can be pulled off, but more likely, you'll need a razor. I haven't tried it with Ringneck, but this is what I do for my Amherst tails. Something Todd Scharf showed me was just to use the blade to get it started and to keep the base from getting too thick. You can do it ahead of time and just keep small sections in a bag ready to use.

It sometimes can be pulled off, but more likely, you'll need a razor. I haven't tried it with Ringneck, but this is what I do for my Amherst tails. Something Todd Scharf showed me was just to use the blade to get it started and to keep the base from getting too thick. You can do it ahead of time and just keep small sections in a bag ready to use.

I think I'm going to try it, it made a sweet looking fly. how wide are you making the base with your Amherst? I would assume that the two tail feathers would act similar when it comes to wrapping them.

I make the base as thin as I can. Just a bit wider than the fibers. Some guys actually sand the stem after to get it even thinner. I cut down towards the base as well.

You can post youtube video using the id that comes after the v= in the address.

video URL - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eb1HyS38z_s
video id - Eb1HyS38z_s

VB Code - [yt]Eb1HyS38z_s[/yt]

I hope that helps.

I fixed it up for ya.

I remember seeing that video before. Very nice looking intruder. The only problem i have with that is that there isn't a counter rib over that pt hackle and if it breaks.... just add a heavy wire or chenille if you like to counter wrap over the hackle.

I fixed it up for ya.

I remember seeing that video before. Very nice looking intruder. The only problem i have with that is that there isn't a counter rib over that pt hackle and if it breaks.... just add a heavy wire or chenille if you like to counter wrap over the hackle.

Ya I agree 100% I was thinkinh the same thing! Thats for all the help.