Fly Fusion Forums

Who's Done The Rockwall?

Deb and I are planning to hike the Rockwall Trail in Kootenay NP this summer and unfortunately have to scale things back a bit (i.e., not able to do the entire trail @ 56 kms :( ).

So if anyone has hiked this trail, I would appreciate some insight...

We only have 3 days/2 nights... What would you suggest?! Helmet Falls the 1st night and Tumbling the 2nd then out at Numa or do you think we can make it to Numa for the 2nd night (I'm sure that would be quite the grind though...)?

Thanks,

Peter

I don't know the specifics on the Rockwall Trail, but about 20 years ago I hiked up to the ink pots at Johnson Canyon with the wife and kids. We made it up and back in an afternoon.

Hope that helps.

And once again your knowledge on the subject at hand is astounding...

Yeah helps immensely!! <--poke--< <--poke--<

Thanks, but no thanks!

I don't know the specifics on the Rockwall Trail, but about 20 years ago I hiked up to the ink pots at Johnson Canyon with the wife and kids. We made it up and back in an afternoon.

Hope that helps.

Hi Uber,

When I did the Rockwall the two highlights for me were Floe Lk. and the Rockwall pass itself. The alpenglow on the wall above Floe lake the first morning was superb. The weather turned crappy on our last day so the long haul out Helmet and Ochre cks. left more of an impression on me than the falls. Maybe go in to Floe Lk. for the first night, second night at Tumbling Ck campsite, check out Wolverine plateau and Rockwall pass before packing up camp and hiking out Tumbling ck. on last day. If you've got your heart set on seeing the falls you should be able to make it out on Numa ck. It's been awhile since I did this one so if any of the cgs or trails have been closed I didn't know.

Thanks Treeplanter, now that's the kind of info I was expecting!!

Yes I have heard that both Floe Lake and Rockwall Pass are spectacular (and that Tumbling Creek campsite is less then desirable). The side trip up to Wolverine was also reco'd!!

Cheers,

P

Hi Uber,

When I did the Rockwall the two highlights for me were Floe Lk. and the Rockwall pass itself. The alpenglow on the wall above Floe lake the first morning was superb. The weather turned crappy on our last day so the long haul out Helmet and Ochre cks. left more of an impression on me than the falls. Maybe go in to Floe Lk. for the first night, second night at Tumbling Ck campsite, check out Wolverine plateau and Rockwall pass before packing up camp and hiking out Tumbling ck. on last day. If you've got your heart set on seeing the falls you should be able to make it out on Numa ck. It's been awhile since I did this one so if any of the cgs or trails have been closed I didn't know.

Hi Uber,

X2

except i would recommend the other way around, saving floe lake and numa pass for the last day, all the up and down on this hike is really something, and saving the best for last is really rewarding after a couple days of hiking. Its amazing seeing floe lake for the first time coming over that pass, and then camping at the lake your last night you have a pretty easy mostly downhill hike down to the parking lot. not to mention the campsite at floe lake is the best of all of them along the trail and you'll love sitting along the lake all evening long winding down, collecting your thoughts before heading back to the city in front of that beautiful lake.

So yea I'd recommend going in Tumbling creek, somehow going to see rockwall pass either that first afternoon or the next morning, onto floe lake the next day, camping there the second night, then hiking out.

Thanks!

Yeah we are going in the N to SE direction, but didn't consider going in at Tumbling... As well we were intially planning on leaving via Numa Creek, but if we go in via Tumbling we could exit from Floe... Interesting!!

Cheers,

P

X2

except i would recommend the other way around, saving floe lake and numa pass for the last day, all the up and down on this hike is really something, and saving the best for last is really rewarding after a couple days of hiking. Its amazing seeing floe lake for the first time coming over that pass, and then camping at the lake your last night you have a pretty easy mostly downhill hike down to the parking lot. not to mention the campsite at floe lake is the best of all of them along the trail and you'll love sitting along the lake all evening long winding down, collecting your thoughts before heading back to the city in front of that beautiful lake.

So yea I'd recommend going in Tumbling creek, somehow going to see rockwall pass either that first afternoon or the next morning, onto floe lake the next day, camping there the second night, then hiking out.