Fly Fusion Forums

Starter Rods

I had an interesting experience yesterday. I was out with a friend who's just getting into flyfishing. He had bought a TFO Axiom 6 wt. We were working on his casting and mending and he was having difficulty, so I let him use my TFO Ti for a while. He had no problem laying out 30-35 feet of line and a nymph rig, and making the mends necessary to keep things working. The difference is that the Ti has a noticeably softer action than the Axiom. He's going to pick up a 6 wt TFO Series 1 before his next trip. If you are out looking for a rod when you're inexperienced, or if you're advising someone on their first rod, it's a good idea to look at softer actions ( medium to medium-fast). The timing required to work them is much more forgiving than the fast actions like the Axiom, and less experienced casters will find them much easier to master. I told my friend to keep the Axiom, as in a year or two he'll be able to use it much more effectively in appropriate circumstances. Too often people will be sucked into the high performance rod trap and buy rods with actions that are not compatible with their skill level. Cast before you buy is a good rule, and one I religiously follow now. On a positive note, my friend landed two rockies and lost a couple of other fish, his first action ever on a fly stick.