Fly Fusion Forums

Thinking Of Getting The Water Sketter River Tamer

Paco

I'd like as many comments from anybody who knows about this boat as I'm thinking of getting one. Any recomendations for someone with a bad back thats good for lakes and rivers. I need a comfeee seat thats for sure. Budget around $1000.00 All comments are welcome.

PACO

I have a water skeeter rebellion I think is the name but I want to upgrade I have been looking at the dave scaddin pontoon skykomish sunrise it looks like an ideal pontoon to me skykomish sunrise I like the sliding platform it looks pretty convenient and for a guy with a bad back it would be nice to be able to stand and stretch out you can also do a search for dave scaddin pontoons and his site has some vids and stuff to

i have the river tamer and i love it. I cant compare it to anything else though as ive never tried another. so far mine seems pretty bomb proof (knock on wood). been on the bow with no worries whatsoever and usually have it on stillwaters and it gets around great. the seat is really comfortable and offers good lumbar support as i too have a bad back and can sit in this boat for up to 11 hours (so far) with no sore ass or numbnutz or anything like that. I like the anchor pully system, works well. what i dont like is the small size of the storage bags and there seems to be a lot of wasted space that could be used for storage behind the seat. have tried it with a motor too and its awesome. i won mine so not too sure on cost but i think around $800-900. . hope this helps. later

M

Me and my buds bought four River Tamers about 4 years back. We had one leaky bladder (the boat that is) right off and it was fixed under warrantee. Other then that we have had no problems. The storage bags are on the small side and I have purchased a couple of small soft sided coolers that I place just ahead of the original bags and they attach with just a carabineer to the frame. We found the original seat backs made us lean too far back and I made up some spacers that fit between the seat back and the seat. They made a great difference. After eight hours in that seat I found my butt crack had all but disappeared so I eventually purchased a high back boat seat from Wal-Mart that fit the W.S. bolt pattern. The Wal-Mart seat is great. Lots of foam. The fish creel was a pain and I removed it after the first couple of times out. Sold it on Ebay. I had an old tent trailer and I demolished it and we rebuilt it as a flat deck for the pontoons. We fish lakes in the spring and fall and drive back to a cabin each night. We leave the boats inflated and trailer them for the entire week without any problems. You need to be mindful of altitude and temperature as the bladders could pop if you don't pay attention. We've used them to float the Bow many many time as well. I actually prefer them to a drift boat as you get to fish the entire time rather than take a turn rowing. I've used a minkota with mine on stillwaters but just got tired of packing the weight of a battery. The wire storage rack behind the seat is a must imo. I have a lunch cooler and a couple of dry bags for pump,rain wear, etc. that I bungy to the rack. All in all I am very pleased with the River Tamer and we paid $1500 each back them. I see them for way cheaper now. One problem that is concerning is that as they have faded over the years they look pinker and pinker every time out. Not much I can do about that. Rick.

After eight hours in that seat I found my butt crack had all but disappeared so I eventually purchased a high back boat seat from Wal-Mart that fit the W.S. bolt pattern. The Wal-Mart seat is great. Lots of foam.

Do you have a part number or any information about the seat from Walmart? Any help would be great.

Thx PACO

Do you have a part number or any information about the seat from Walmart? Any help would be great.

Thx PACO

Regarding the seat, no I don't . But when I bought mine they only had one brand and you could pick between a low back and a high back and they had them in blue/white and red/white.

One more thought I had about the River Tamer is the rod holder sucks. I bought a couple of Scotty fly rod holders with the straps and they are far better. In B.C. you can fish with two rods from a pontoon boat. The water skeeter holder was wrecking the cork handles.

Regarding the seat, no I don't . But when I bought mine they only had one brand and you could pick between a low back and a high back and they had them in blue/white and red/white.

One more thought I had about the River Tamer is the rod holder sucks. I bought a couple of Scotty fly rod holders with the straps and they are far better. In B.C. you can fish with two rods from a pontoon boat. The water skeeter holder was wrecking the cork handles.

I also looked at the lake skeeter and sales guy said there would not be much difference in the two. Angle of the pontoons mostly. River skeeters are at more of an angle to deal with the choppy water. Have any opions on the lake skeeter anyone?