Fly Fusion Forums

Question About Tube Fies

jonn

What is the deal with junction tube? are you suppose to be putting this on your tubes? it seems to me that it would lock your trailer hook into tube so what is the point in using a tube? Also how far back should I back should I should I be running the materials to the butt of the tube? Any help would be appreciated.

Guest 420FLYFISHIN

i like to make sure there is a bit of materials covering the hook area. The jtube help keep the fly level with unweighted eyes and stops the hook from doubling over and catching the line.

i like to make sure there is a bit of materials covering the hook area. The jtube help keep the fly level with unweighted eyes and stops the hook from doubling over and catching the line.

does it hold the fly solidly or is it suppose to be held with minimal friction? Thanks for answering!

There are many trains of thought on tying and fishing tube flies....SOme want to have the hook locked into the junction tube while others like me want to have the hook trailing losely and as far back as possible...in fact I will often take along with me in my tube fly wallet a series of smaller tubes to insert into the Junction tubeing so that I can position my hook where I want. A fixed hook will act as a rudder and in some cases is a good and needed thing..while others need to have the hook as far back as possible(Steelheaders using Intruders)

C

There are many trains of thought on tying and fishing tube flies....SOme want to have the hook locked into the junction tube while others like me want to have the hook trailing losely and as far back as possible...in fact I will often take along with me in my tube fly wallet a series of smaller tubes to insert into the Junction tubeing so that I can position my hook where I want. A fixed hook will act as a rudder and in some cases is a good and needed thing..while others need to have the hook as far back as possible(Steelheaders using Intruders)

C

Notice the Tube set-up with this Steelhead...I positioned a smaller tube inside the Junction tube to get teh hook to the rear as much as possible

C

Opps...here is that picture If you want to chat about this or tie a fwe of these patetrns please come by South Bow Fly and Tackle this coming week-end...Fly tying Friday Evening,Saturday Morning early and possibly Sunday afternoon if there is time...I will be using both Eumer and the new Tubeology accessories...

C

PS...sometimes I will even place a small bead in frnt of the hook so it can't get lodged into the tube