Fly Fusion Forums

Computer Router Help

I have shaw (home) and telus (office) internet access. It appears the linksys wireless router on shaw crapped out because it no longer shows as an available network on either computer that was on it. I picked up a d-link wireless router at Staples to replace it. I followed the instruction disk and it won't install. The laptop that was the main computer using the old router can not see the new router to configure it even when directly connected to it.

So I try to connect to the office wireless internet (2wire). I can not find a WEP key that it will accept. I can log into the router and browse around. The key that is listed under the broadband link (20 characters) gives an error message when I try to enter it. A printout I made after the initial setup has a 26 character WEP - does not work. I have vague memories of some problems with the telus connection at one point and had to exchange the router. The password on the printout is not the one for this router. How do I find the WEP code for this router?

I could log into the linsys router and see the WEP code in order to connect other computers.

My brain hurts after trying to find answers on the web.

bust out the D-Link and do this.

there should be a tiny little black reset button on your router. Unplug the router from all power sources and internet conections. when it is completely unplugged, depress the reset button for 15 long seconds. when you plug the router back in, it should be restored to default settings and there should no longer be a WEP code.

To access the router from your computer once you plug it back in follow these steps

1. open internet explorer

2.copy and paste this http://192.168.0.1/ into the URL bar

the default password is likely "admin" if you reset the router correctly. firstly though, attempt to log in without entering a password.

once you have accesed the router, the first thing you should do is encrypt the network, the best password (because it will require 10 digits) is your cellphone number with area code because it's hard to forget lol

this should work with your d-link router. If it does not help, then post the exact model name and stuff of your router and i'll look it up for you and figure it out.

What kind of laptop is it and what operating system are you running? You didn't by chance hit the wireless switch and disable it?

WEP is gone by way of the dinosaur - most routers today will encrypt to WPA2, use it. WEP is highly hackable now.