Fly Fusion Forums

Boat Launch Report - March 14 2010

We made another tour of the boat launches yesterday Sunday March 14.

As we reported two weeks ago, Graves Landing/Glenmore Trail and Policeman’s Flats were free of ice and snow.

Since then, the gate to the 22X/Fish Creek Park access road to the boat ramp has been opened.

There is still some ice and snow on the ramp at 17th Ave/Cushing Bridge.

McKinnon Flats remains ice bound. However, there was evidence of vehicles driving out on to the river bed, directly in front of the boat “ramp’. From there to the water’s edge was about 25 paces.

As we have done in past years, we encourage anyone thinking of floating from Police to McKinnon this early in the season to be aware of the very real danger presented by the huge ice shelves along the river.

The side channel crossing at Legacy Island is passable. However, there is still significant ice blocking the boat ramp.

At Carseland, the boat ramp is half free of ice, and there is a fair amount of open water in the bay.

If you would like to receive the original version of this report, including 15 photos from all the boat launches, please send your request to michelle@bowrivershuttles.com

Kindest regards,

Michelle

euhvm0.jpg

22X/Fish Creek Park – Mar 12 2010

2dbuo7n.jpg

McKinnon Flats

30tj3q1.jpg

Legacy Island – side channel crossing

1ij29s.jpg

Carseland

cool tnx for the update.

anyone got info on the ht. of the ice shelf @ mck?

curious as obviously for some it's been managable to get a drift boat back on a trailer just wanted a sense of how much work it's going to be...

cool tnx for the update.

anyone got info on the ht. of the ice shelf @ mck?

curious as obviously for some it's been managable to get a drift boat back on a trailer just wanted a sense of how much work it's going to be...

We got pontoons over the ice on Saturday, I'd say that the ice is maybe...6ft high?

I don't remember when i was standing there if I could see over it or not...

I think if some ice had fallen the right way you'd be able to drag the drift boat up the 'ramp' no problem.

If it gets as warm as it's supposed to yesterday and today, I'd say the ice will take a major hit and drift boats won't be a problem.

Only other thing to take into consideration right now is the river level.

The river is really low! Way lower than the fall.

Lots of places where there were 'new rocks' and gravel bars that we had to walk across with the toons.

Happy Floating!