Fly Fusion Forums

Boaters License

So the ONLY reason for the license is youngsters hurting themselves? In Ontario, of course. Why not just make it illegal for kids under 16 to operate such and such. From what I've seen from my time in the tackle industry, nobody's getting rich from any licensing programs.

What about the poor schmuck who went out on Devil's Lake, got caught unprepared and died, taking his brother and son with him? Believe it or not, education works sometimes. As a guy who has taken and taught arctic survival courses, it can be surprising the things people don't think of, that seem so commonsense when you have experience.

Three things that are not very common in this world; common decency, common courtesy, and common sense.

I figure you'll say something like,"You can't legislate common sense!!!!!!!". My impression is that laws are mainly supposed to do just that. It's like the Ten Commandments. Did you really need to be told that those acts were wrong? Well apparently, alot of people do need to be told.

Hey Guys,

I have recently decided to put an electric motor on my pontoon boat for a few of the larger lakes I visit. I borrowed a buddies Canadian Boat Operator's Handbook a couple days ago, read it while watching tv. Spent $38 and wrote the test in 20 mins today and passed, scored 31/36. Is it tough...no, but I would rather not have to deal with the hassel if I don't have it. Plus, I still have a 11 ft cartopper and outboard in the yard I may use someday.

cya

OK, I'm calling you naive. :)

1. There was no "official reasoning" behind this law. As stated, it was dreamed up to try and appear to be doing something to control the chicklet chompers from doing each other on the recreational lakes of Onterrible, without appearing to be pandering to "The Centre of the Universe". Inland and Maritime law is federal, therefore this was enacted across Canada.

So a cute little test that even a one-eyed old fart who hasn't ever studied or used any maritime rights of way, etc can pass with one error, makes things safe? How about forgotten within two days?

The whole thing was and is utter nonsense. Just a money grab for the feds and their hired "examiner contractors".

j

I think they need to forget this and get back to important things that will really save lives like the gun registration law .

Hey Guys,

I have recently decided to put an electric motor on my pontoon boat for a few of the larger lakes I visit. I borrowed a buddies Canadian Boat Operator's Handbook a couple days ago, read it while watching tv. Spent $38 and wrote the test in 20 mins today and passed, scored 31/36. Is it tough...no, but I would rather not have to deal with the hassel if I don't have it. Plus, I still have a 11 ft cartopper and outboard in the yard I may use someday.

cya

tell me the spot for $38 please , all i can find is $49 online , i also think it's a crock , money grab again ,

I think they need to forget this and get back to important things that will really save lives like the gun registration law .

Have you ever seen anybody flip over a belly boat and not come up?I have seen the upside down puddle duck thing and believe me you wake up often replaying it.And someones children didnt have a dad to come home too.So you can wine and cry all ya want,As far as im concerned belly boat,pontoon drift boat.This law of having a life preserver in the boat sucks.Bring on more laws and make it manditory to wear a preserver at all times.After seeing that i even wear my inflatable wading.So if the $38 bucks for a license saves some one its worth it.You might be glad one day that you had the whistle or the life jacket or the rope to toss to someone.So ya take the test and maybe learn something.Wanna compare drowning numbers every year to gun control.