Fly Fusion Forums

Pupa Help

Guest bigbadbrent

Guest bigbadbrent

What i really need help in making, is a caddis pupa that is skin colored, but nearly 100% transluceant and floats in the foam. nearly every pupa i've seen this year during the evening hatch is that color, or a bit lighter.

My only idea's would be doing a Shrimp Colored larva lace pupa, with white or tan thread. Maybe doing a white antron underbody, or hares ear flash, that the lace goes over. That's the easy part, the hard part is imitating the transulecent head and "feet". I don't really have any idea's for this, unless i just went with partridge and the beadhead behind the hackle (shown in the newest fly swap, thanks hydro!)

. The problem with that is the beadhead will stop it from staying in the foam, which is exactly what im looking for, so i can drop it off a EHC or something of that likeness.

any ideas?!?! i'll be whipping some up tonight and posting pics, but would be great for ideas

If you take a plastic translucent bead, it will probably just stay in the foam because of the current. As for the legs, you could try some CDC. It will keep the fly from sinking to much and the air trapped in the fibers will give it a translucent shine.

I like the idea of the white antron underbody, this too will make it float better then the Hare's ear.