Fly Fusion Forums

Streamer Line For Zaxis 690

I have the #6 Zaxis and I wanna be able to toss heavy and wind resistant trout streamers with it. I've been told that the 200 grain SA Streamer line will work great on this rod. However, I'm wondering if a #7 GPX would be similar (I already have one), it's the same weight approximately, maybe even a touch lighter. The details are: the rod is designed for a six weight line (160 grains) and the GPX is a heavy 7, so somewhere above 185 grains (standard 7) but below an eight weight at 210. The taper cant be the same as the SA express but the GPX has gotta be better than a standard six weight line at tossing streamers and I'm pretty sure the rod can handle it. And, if it does turn out to be heavy couldn't I just chop a bit off the front? Wouldn't this make the GPX more aggressive like a streamer taper anyways? I was also wondering if anyone knew if streamer lines generally are a line weight, or a line weight and a half, heavy?

Carter,

Though I do not own a Z-axis, I do own both the SA Streamer Express & GPX in the 6 wt... In my exp. the Streamer Express felt much heavier then the GPX (before altering). I have cut off 10' (or 15' - I can't remember) off the Streamer Express (25' sink tip) and it works much better for tossing (weighted) streamers on the Bow (I also put loop to loop connections on the cut piece and use it for tossing weighted streamers on the Lower K for Bullies - works great). If you wanna toss the ones I have on your z-axis to see how it feels, lemme know...

P

I have the #6 Zaxis and I wanna be able to toss heavy and wind resistant trout streamers with it. I've been told that the 200 grain SA Streamer line will work great on this rod. However, I'm wondering if a #7 GPX would be similar (I already have one), it's the same weight approximately, maybe even a touch lighter. The details are: the rod is designed for a six weight line (160 grains) and the GPX is a heavy 7, so somewhere above 185 grains (standard 7) but below an eight weight at 210. The taper cant be the same as the SA express but the GPX has gotta be better than a standard six weight line at tossing streamers and I'm pretty sure the rod can handle it. And, if it does turn out to be heavy couldn't I just chop a bit off the front? Wouldn't this make the GPX more aggressive like a streamer taper anyways? I was also wondering if anyone knew if streamer lines generally are a line weight, or a line weight and a half, heavy?

You're comparing apples to oranges here. A floating all-around line vs a sink tip (that is made for streamer fishing). If you're looking for a sink tip line, the streamer express will do it far better than a GPX with a sink tip looped on.

What are the odds that the companies that are promoting a line as a streamer line, are going to outperform an "All Around" Line for streamer fishing?? You'll get by with the GPX, but if you want a devoted streamer line, then buy one.

You're comparing apples to oranges here. A floating all-around line vs a sink tip (that is made for streamer fishing). If you're looking for a sink tip line, the streamer express will do it far better than a GPX with a sink tip looped on.

What are the odds that the companies that are promoting a line as a streamer line, are going to outperform an "All Around" Line for streamer fishing?? You'll get by with the GPX, but if you want a devoted streamer line, then buy one.

I didn't realize it had a tip built in, I thought it was just a special taper designed for casting heavy flies.

Manufacturers websites are great for "research", other than real life experience. The SA Streamer Express is HERE

Last year they had profile info in pdf files that you could access. Line profiles and head weights are so important when trying to fine tune the performance of any rod. Beats hell out of going broke buying lines.

j

Manufacturers websites are great for "research", other than real life experience. The SA Streamer Express is HERE

Last year they had profile info in pdf files that you could access. Line profiles and head weights are so important when trying to fine tune the performance of any rod. Beats hell out of going broke buying lines.

j

Yeah, I was pretty annoyed that SA removed all the line profiles from their site. It's always handy to have a few browser windows open on different lines to compare when you're researching your next purchase.

Yeah, I was pretty annoyed that SA removed all the line profiles from their site. It's always handy to have a few browser windows open on different lines to compare when you're researching your next purchase.

I sent them an email telling them how pissed I was! :)

j