Fly Fusion Forums

Rod Position, Rivers, Lakes & The Chuck

I've been thinking lately about why I keep my rod in certain positions when I hook up and I realized I do a lot of it because I was taught to or because I learned to do it from watching more experienced anglers. In most cases I do not actually know why I do it, or what benefit it has. I thought I would run through the things I do (now by rote) and get your feedback.

In the River - Sea Run

When I fish anadromous fish after a hook up I keep my rod tip low and to the side. I do this because I've been told to and because I think it lets the fish fight the rod and avoid straight lining itself into an early break off. When I get the fish close I raise my rod to keep the fish off the rocks and riverbed. I also have have been told this gets the fish to fight my line (as it's all in the drink) but if they run downstream after I hook up (as they typically do) I am not sure how much truth is in that because the line is extended to nearly straight pretty quick.

In the River - Trout

I always keep my rod tip up unless I am turning a fish to go somewhere I want it. Not sure why I do this differently than when I fish sea run fish. I tried this summer to keep my rod tip low and I did not seem to release any more than usual.

In the Lake

I always keep my rod tip up. Seems to me this keeps keeps the fish pointed at my boat and is easier to bring in this way. I learned to lake fish on my own though so I'm worried I might have this one wrong although over the years I've done it I've not had an early release problem per se.

In the Salt

Flats fishing I keep my tip up so I can avoid my fish abrading the leader on coral etc. I have never caught a 'big' fish in the salt though (warm water anyhow) so I've no idea how you fight like a tarpon or striper etc.

Any thoughts would be welcome guys.

al

Watch a good tarpon (or chinook, etc etc) angler fight any species, they all do it the same. Trout or salmon, the rod is angled and they're torquing on the fish. If your rod is above 45 degrees, then why are you bothering to pull on the fish, you have almost no energy being exerted.

Fight all the fish you hook (salt is a little different as they scream line off, but once they're done their huge pulls, then start fighting them regularily) just like you do with the Anadro fish. The longer you have a fish on, the more likely it's gonna come off. Can't stand watching a guy with his rod 90 degrees up and the rod tip slightly bent, takes forever, and is pretty useless at landing fish.

A couple of years ago i switched to using more side pressure in rivers,changing from side to side.I think its helped my landing percentages.

Last year lake fishing i was having trouble moving fish off bottom,i kept trying to lift the rod. Once i pointed the rod more at the fish it was much easier to move them.