Fly Fusion Forums

Bull Trout Flies

Looking for someone to tie some "go to" bull trout flies that i can purchase. I love fly fishing and i am planning to go on an adventure for them this fall and could use the help. All the flies i find in stores are not the greaest selection up in grande prairie. Pm me and we can work something out

Guest 420FLYFISHIN

just grab a half bag of maribou and strap it to a hook! You could order the few things off one of the sponsors and DIY. Fish tales all so has a good selection, you cold call them up or check out the website to put together an order

Just tie some rabbit fur to a 1/4 oz. Walleye jig and bomb the deepest pools you can. A fly rod is likely counter productive. A 10 inch rapala would be best. There is no way sink tips and lead wrap can sink a lure like a jig head can.

These will give any rapala a run for it's money.

post-3249-1265002839.jpg

post-3249-1265002870.jpg

"There is no way sink tips and lead wrap can sink a lure like a jig head can. "

That's why God invented long leaders and bead head flies. The floating line stays on top, the narrow diameter leader allows the weighted fly to go down without any line or sinktip being lifted by the faster flowing top water. There are other ways to get to the same place without gear chucking. Adapt.

j

There are other ways to get to the same place without gear chucking. Adapt.

j

Gotta say...There are better alternatives to chucking flies in some cases. Not a hope in hell you are getting a streamer down to that bull in 15 feet of water as fast or as effectively as a 2oz jig. That is, if it is even getting into the proper depth zone. After all is it really flyfishing with a 8 inch streamer and a bunch of big ass splitshots?

Maybe you should take your own advice and adapt :)

Gotta say...There are better alternatives to chucking flies in some cases. Not a hope in hell you are getting a streamer down to that bull in 15 feet of water as fast or as effectively as a 2oz jig. That is, if it is even getting into the proper depth zone. After all is it really flyfishing with a 8 inch streamer and a bunch of big ass splitshots?

I catch fish on the fly in 15 feet or more (often much more) all the time. Does it matter how long it takes to get the fly there? If I was in a hurry I would be at work, not fishing.

al

Read my post again. Nothing about split shot. Bead head sparse minnow patterns and long leaders. Once you learn about river hydraulics, you'll understand: It doesn't take a lot of weight, it takes a little bit in the right place. It's what we learn and adapt to on real rivers, sonny.