Fly Fusion Forums

Mercury Fish

cgyguy

Hi folks, I don't usually post anything on this site, choosing to be the reader moreso, than the writer. However, I recently read an article on Robert.F.Kennedy Jr. with regards to his position that as much as 90% of the fish in Alberta are inedible. His statement is that these fish have too much mercury in them to safely eat.

He also states: “It causes a grim inventory of diseases: autism, blindness, mental retardation, speech delay, language delay, ticks, learning disorders, as well as heart disease, liver disease and kidney disease. The tests that we do have, which are mainly done provincially in Canada, indicate that Canada has the same problem with mercury that we have in the United States.”

I am interested to know what your take is on this? I am not a fish eater for the most part and will continue to "catch and release" ALL fish, but find it interesting that a politician from the U.S. would and can make these statements!

Cgyguy :huh: