Fly Fusion Forums

Bow Intruders

agbff

Lets see some intruder style fly's ya use on the bow.

t6b1pd.jpg

Thread: Flat waxed nylon red

Shank: 25mm wadington

Hook: Gamagatsu #2

Eyes: Yellow real eyes

Dubbing ball: White ice dub, olive at the head

Hackle: White saddle

Body: White and olive craft fur, shrimp marabou, olive and natural polar bear, green ostrich, pearl dna.

Guest 420FLYFISHIN

what are the requirement for making it an intruder?

eyes

pheasent

Rhea, orstrich

back hook

i know there are a few more i just cant remember them right now.

Last time I checked there weren't any requirements for making a fly an "intruder". More than anything I think it's about the shape of the fly and movement in the water. If you go to Speypages and search for "intruder" you'll find lots of flies that have a similar overall look and feel to them, but don't necessarily have the same materials or tying steps. You can tie them on tubes or on shanks with a stinger.

I think sometimes we get too hung up on the names of things. Andy, what you've got there is a nice fly that'll catch fish. The fish probably don't care what it's called when they strike it either.

Here are some I use on the Bow. I'd list the materials, but honestly I tie every one of them a bit different and I can't remember what's in them. More than likely they include rhea, ostrich, seal dubbing, polar bear, marabou, polar chenille, schlappen, saddle hackles, lady amherst, krystal flash, and/or flashabou. I generally tie mine on size 4 4xl streamer hooks, use 50lb spiderwire and a gamakatsu octopus hook for the trailer.

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

This is the way the Original Intruder was tied and designed by Ed Ward. So yes, there is an exact pattern. Calling every fly with a stinger hook 'intruder style' is simply not true, just as calling every mayfly adult an adam style fly is not true.

And i'll be the first to tell Flyon that his fly is a very nice streamer, that will catch a lot of fish

This is what I go on for Intruders. The pattern is listed in Dec Hogan's "A Passion for Steelhead", but I don't own a copy. If anyone does and can post the recipe, that would be cool.

to be an intruder it has to have eyes.

to be an intruder it has to have a trailing hook, preferably small in relation to the body size

to be an intruder it has to have pheasant tail for the hackle

to be an intruder it has to have grizzly hackle for side wings

to be an intruder it has to have ostrich herl for a tail

If it doesn't have these things it isn't an intruder. It may be a good fly. It may OUTFISH an intruder. But it isn't an intruder. It's a HAF (Huge Assed Fly). Intruders are HAFs but not all HAFs are intruders. You can tie a "rhea intruder" or an "Amhearst intruder", or a "bunny intruder", or whatever you want, but to be fair you should qualify it. Just like a "marabou clouser", "bead head prince nymph", etc.

I just recently watched this youtube clip, which should make it clear, the reason that the fly should be tied in a certain way. If you don't add some elements, it just colapses when it gets wet. Just watch this thing when it gets wet, it's still just as large as when it's dry.

Click here if the movie does not play.

The title of the post says "Bow Intruders" not "Ed Ward's One True Intruder" (and there were a few other guys involved in creating it including Jerry French and Tucker English), if it's just about semantics. From what I've heard Ed Ward doesn't use deer hair on the intruders he ties any more. Does that mean he isn't tying Ed Ward's Intruders?

Maybe we can leave the pedantic semantics of this alone and just see more pictures of intruder-ish flies people fish on the Bow? I know I've seen pics of some nice ones that Silverdoctor ties...

dope flies! i liked that clip in skagit master.. and the link from speypages is badass! i prefer seal fur for the bump and polaebear for te collar aswell!!!! but its all in waht u make of it! look at all th bugger varients out there... same dealio!!

Guest 420FLYFISHIN

Here is my Russian Intruder. There are 3 cone heads and a tube weight to get this puppy down. I must have had this in a powerbait bag because i cant keep the fish off it lol.

a bit too full but is seems to do the trick. Under water it is about 1"-1" 1/4" around so it looks like a good meal, they will hit is out in the deeps or 5ft from the rod tip.

post-2377-1263942480.jpg

Thanks Headscan.

I don't think tube vs shank makes or breaks the pattern, that tube looks slick.

The recipe for an intruder in Dec Hogan's book is very different from the latest version from Ed Ward, so the fly is evolving over time.

For sure, they looks like 2 completely different species now.

i prefer seal fur for the bump and polaebear for te collar aswell

Agreed on those points Max. If you get a chance, check out Todd Scharf and ask him to show you his polar bear dubbing loop. Now that really keeps the hackle from collapsing on his HAF.

• 5 weeks later...

I'm jut wondering about preference for length of the stinger. I figure it would be optimal to have the stringer just hidden within the longest material on the fly, and not any longer, so as not to miss fish to short strikes. I've been experimenting with this and have tied up some Clousers and buggers with small stingers, haven't fished them yet though.

i use the mustad tube hooks in 8's n 10s i believe.. nice little hook and really sticky! they are really heavy thanked too so havnt had any problemos bending.... i like the braided wire for my stuff.. its pretty think and super strong so i dont halfto worry about abrasion wear n tear and it fits through the eye of some pretty small hooks

Guest 420FLYFISHIN

what are your guys opinions on eyes? Not so much for the weight but do you have more success on streamers/intruders that have JC or weight eyes.

im starting to notice more hits on the ones i put a fake JC feather on