Fly Fusion Forums

Flying Carry-on Restrictions

Everyone,

We've had the question come up in the shop the past two days regularily so I thought I would put something up here to help answer questions.

On Jan 5th the rules for carry-on bags changed so there have been questions about what that applies to. There has been some misinformation in the media as well. Here is a link to the Canadian Air Transport Security Authority with a FAQ about the new rules.

Basically, if you have a flight that is touching down at a US airport whether or not your final destination is in the US you will be subject to the new rules which are basically NO carry-on items except personal stuff. That means absolutely no rods, reels, you can't even carry on your brief case!! Look at the list of items that are ok on the site.

The information that was wrong in the media is that it was also going to appy to flights flying through US airspace. That is NOT CORRECT. If you are flying from Canada directly to another country over US airspace the standard carry-on rules apply that have been in place for awhile now will apply.

I hope this is helpful to anyone lucky enough to be heading south for some fishing in the next while.

David

Fish Tales

Interesting that you can bring a musical instrument onboard (though depending on size - at least that was the case when I was working in the airline industry - guitars not likely as they won't fit in the overhead compartment and can't be stored anywhere else onboard) and not a fishing rod(s)! I guess one would want to make sure you get extra baggage insurance (or a separate rider under your home insurance!)!

Thanks for posting this info Dave!

P