Fly Fusion Forums

Rio Outbound Lines

nebc

I am in the market for a new line having been given a new large arbor reel for Christmas. When I got to looking at all the options out there I quickly came here to ask for an informed opinion.

I have mostly used Rio fly lines and I noted they now offer the Outbound lines.

http://www.rioproducts.com/product.php?recKey=33

So for use in rivers swinging streamers and small clousers what do you think. Larger rivers like the Bow as well as ones the size of the Crowsnest and Elk rivers as well as some use in lakes.

Floating?

Hover?

Intermediate?

Floating. Use weighted flies and long leaders to "get down". There are other lines in similar WF configurations that are more durable and longer lasting. Among them, SA Steelhead Taper and (depending on line weight required) SA Bonefish Taper. There is also Airflo 40+ in several configurations:

http://www.rajeffsports.com/40plus.php

Lines are pretty "personal preference" oriented, but for use in rivers, with their inherent dirt, sand, mineral fines, I have had very good durability with SA or Airflo. I do "test" several new lines every year, including Rio, but I just think equal performance with an added substantially better durability and usable life make SA and Airflo the better choice.

j

Thanks guys. I was leaning toward the intermediate as well for this. Have either of you tried the Rio Outbound lines yet? So far some say they have heard good thins about iit but so far I have yet to talk to anyone who has used it to any extent.

I also have kept my flies less weighted in general for rivers, and have been using some smaller clouser style ties that use bead chain eyes that are not so heavy as the usual ones used for clousers - those I will leave to use in the saltwater as well as some lake use as well.

I will visit our local shop as well as the ones in Grande Prairie AB and see what they have in the way of Airflo lines. I am not much in a rush given the time of year anyway.

I have a Rio Outbound Short - not quite the same as the regular Outbound. Not a big fan of it to be honest. I prefer the 40+ personally.

Thanks for the comment Headscan.

Are there clearly defined issues with it and what would you see as an advantage going to the 40+ lines?

Thanks again headscan ... I would not have though of that possibility.

I have used the Rio Outbound Tropical and I love it. Great for moving line into the surf (well that's what I was using it for anyhow). I've also used their intermediate for lake fishing, seemed decent to me but I did not fish it overly much as it was my friends.

al