Fly Fusion Forums

Lines, Lines, Lines, And More Lines

headscan

So there have been a lot of new lines for two-handed rods coming to market over the last couple of years - Compact Skagits and Scandis, Flights, Tactical Steelhead, Scandits, Skagit Shorts, Speydicator, and a bunch more I'm forgetting. This isn't a bad thing, but I noticed that when they do come out there's a big rush to try them out that you don't see with single-handed lines. You can give most people an all-around line like a GPX for their single hander and they'll be perfectly happy with it until it wears out. When I see a new single-handed line on the market I notice it without feeling any great urge to try one, but when I see a new two-handed line come out I can't wait to give it a try. In the last few years I've owned Rio Skagits, Windcutters, Flights, AFS heads, Airflo Compact Scandis and Skagits, Loop Multis, Beulah Elixirs, and a Snowbee Scandinavian. You can see the same thing on Speypages by the number of people asking about new lines and rushing to try them when they first hear about them.

So why is this? Is it because we're hoping to find a "silver bullet" line to cover up casting deficiencies, we own more of the shorter lightweight rods that a lot of these new lines are being designed for, you need many more types of lines for different fishing situations with anadromous fish as opposed to resident fish, or is it that there are so many differences in rods and casting styles that we need all these different lines to make a setup "work" for us?

hard too say dude! i guess u nailed it whn we are trying too find the next best thing! for me single handed or spey lines im all over the new stuff! dont really matter!!!!!!!!!! it always cool too get new toys too see if they can improve your came or if they are more of the same.. every one in a while u find a diamond in the rough!!!

I was thinking it might also be because a $50 head is less painful than a $70+ full line for a single hander. Plus if you already have a running line on your reel with loop to loop connections it's easy enough to switch out, try the new head, then put your old head back on if you don't like it.

Personally when I find a line/weight that I like I hardly ever change from it, why change something that is not broken.

$70 is not that bad of a price espically when there are lines out there that are well over $100 (Most of these have intregrated running lines which I prefeer.)

What it comes down to is what YOU the BUYER prefeers and not what the masses say.

When I first started out I always used loop to loop contections as I was constantly changing up heads to find that magical line that I liked the best, now that I have a very good idea of what I like I know what lines to buy.

One draw back however to a intregrated line is when you only have one rod and you have a skagit, for streamers and scandi for nymphs (I know you can use both lines for both streamers and nymphs but for arguments sake lets say skagit for streamers and scandi for nymphs) you can not switch up lines, you could always just carry an extra spool or reel but if you are like myself and travel ligth this can be a pain in the ass.

Now for a draw back to the loop to loop connection is that when you get into colder temps like we do here in Calgary, then you start to have guides freeze up and sometimes you get the lop to loop connection stuck in a frozen guide which can be a pain the ass also.

So I guess what I am really trying to say is try both and see what you like then go from there.