Fly Fusion Forums

Water Master Vs Pontoon

Just looking for some insight as to what may have a slight advantage. I am looking for a boat to do floats on rivers such as the Clearwater, Ram, Athabasca, Smoky, Kakwa, basically freestone eastern slope rivers. Does anyone have experince using a kickboat in these types of conditions? Do either of the two boat types have a major advantage over the other?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Guest 420FLYFISHIN

$$$$$$$ you can get into a toon for 300 or a water master for 1000! Look at the weight of the two units you want to perches and think about having to portage it around the lager drops and the dimensions to see if you can squeez it through some of te other gaps.

no frame on the water master does make it easier to get in into some lakes and hard to reach areas

just my 2C.....i love the look of the watermaster

I bough a watermaster this past spring and will never go back to my pontoons again. The watermaster is lighter, packs up smaller (can fit 2 in the trunk of a car so I save money on gas by not having to take my truck), is more stable, faster, and more manouverable than either of my pontoon boats. The weight/carrying capacity is about 4 times greater than a pontoon boat so I dont bottom out in shallow water, and I can also fit my dog safely on the back which is a big plus. I think once you try one you will be hooked. I find them superior to my pontoon boats in every way.

They are very expensive (and overpriced IMO) though so that is the biggest consideration. If you have the money get a watermaster - you wont regret it. If not, a pontoon will get the job done too.

I also bought one this past spring. I agree with everything DougC mentioned in the previous post. The WaterMaster is an amazing watercraft and I have retired my pontoon boat as a result.

One thing I want to add is the fact that you can hike them into areas where you might not be able to carry in a pontoon boat. They are much lighter than a pontoon boat, which means you can carry them fully inflated or wear it as a backpack (deflated) and hike in. This really opens up put-in and take-out options and allows you to customize your float.

They are also very stable which allows you to stand comfortably on the seat platform which is great for casting or spotting fish.

Well, thanks for the input guys. I am definately going to be putting away some cash for the water master. I really like the idea of being able to hike a ways into the put in with the entire boat being in a bag. I also like the prospect of being able to easily hitch hike back to my truck after a solo float without worrying about either locking up my boat or finding someone with a truck who is willing to haul it back.

I forsee some awesome drifts on the Smoky, Simonette and Kakwa rivers in the next season.

One more vote for WM.

I have a very old model from when they started in NZ. I have had some glue seam issues, but the boat is >15 years old. Meh, I got it for $200 or $300. I talked to the present WM company about the issues. I guess the company has changed hands three time since then, so they couldn't really help me. Construction and materials have changed slightly since then. Be warned, though, a lifetime warranty is only the lifetime of the company.

I would definitely buy another. They are so simple, and so effective.

If you are thinking of doing a lot of hiking with it, get a packboard (external frame backpack for packing game quarters) and strap the dry sac to that. Also, I would look into the lighter weight model.

I have a winter project this year of building a platform to sit on top of the tube for stillwater use. Cedar slats, a hole for a motor, a small kneeling chair, and anchor mounts. Hopefully I get around to it.