Fly Fusion Forums

Two-handed Bonefishing?

louislouis

Hello bonefishers,

I'm dreaming about going bonefishing in Los Roques and I wondered if some of you fine fisher people have an opinion about whether it would be advantageous to use a two-hander of some sort. It seems that a fairly delicate but rather long cast would be in order for the "ghosts."

For two-handed over-head casting, I thought that maybe a switch rod or smaller surf rod would work very well. In the pictures I have seen, the rods are all one-handers with a short fighting butt. Would a scandi shooting head or "outbound" line work? Is is necessary to buy a salt water line? Would a scandi style spey rod do the trick?

I am trying to find an excuse for buying a new two-hander.

Louis Louis

Hello bonefishers,

I'm dreaming about going bonefishing in Los Roques and I wondered if some of you fine fisher people have an opinion about whether it would be advantageous to use a two-hander of some sort. It seems that a fairly delicate but rather long cast would be in order for the "ghosts."

For two-handed over-head casting, I thought that maybe a switch rod or smaller surf rod would work very well. In the pictures I have seen, the rods are all one-handers with a short fighting butt. Would a scandi shooting head or "outbound" line work? Is is necessary to buy a salt water line? Would a scandi style spey rod do the trick?

Louis Louis

So, speaking from experience you're likely better off with a single hander for bones and most anything on the flats. Much of your casting is sight casting (unless you want to blind cast) and it's best done with a with a single hander for a whole wack of reasons. Surf casting is good fun (well, I enjoy it anyhow) I would think any spey or switch would do if it's what you have and you do not want to buy something new, I know lot's of guys seem to use both. However there are rods (fly rods even) for shore casting. I think somewhere on the board there must be a thread on this. I ended up buying the conversion kit which TFO sells and turned my TFO saltwater 8 weight into a surf caster, worked awesome. Picked it up from Fishtales I think.

You certainly want saltwater lines. The handle the heat better. A lot better. The outbound lines kick ass.

al

Hello bonefishers,

Louis Louis

There are lots of reasons to buy a new Two Hander but BoneFishing isn't One of them unless you are not able to muster up the distance to reach the Bones. However,forRoosters, Permit and Tarpon that is quite a different thing,depending on where you fish. Good tarpon lines are very heavy and well managed with Surf Rods and heavy weight Switch Rods. If you are working the tropic waters then a tropics line is almost a must.

C