Fly Fusion Forums

Lake Louise Area Report For Sep 25/26

SNAPFisher

I'm on beautiful country overload. Hard to boil down the past few days. How about, amazing country, okay fishing, great adventure [FSHN

It was interesting trip kissing the wife goodbye as she went for the day to her work conference at the Chateau Lake Louise and I headed out at the local bakery at 6:30 a.m. for coffee and then to plan the day. It was pretty exciting each day to be heading out before the sun was up over the mountains.

First day I went to Emerald Lake in Yoho Nat. Park. Definitely a picturesque lake. I started off fishing close by to the lodge that is there waiting for some light to show. I read that there was a creek flowing in the far side of the lake and soon found a nice foot trail that made it there. Fished where the creek flows into the lake and managed a half dozen small brookies and a small rainbow.

From there the day is a bit of a blur as I scoped out the Kicking Horse (too high and chocolate colored), then the upper Bow river and finally Bow Lake. The upper bow from highway 1A back to Bow Lake is not that easy to find great access. I tried and did fish a number of what I thought would be decent holes but didn’t find a fish the rest of the day. I didn’t spend much time at Bow Lake but did give it a good scoping.

Next day was all about heading into Jasper to fish the Upper AthB. Started at the AthB falls and worked my way back to the Sunwapta falls. Managed to find some teeny tiny bull trout…not the brutes I wanted…there were about 6-7 inches. Continued exploring some amazing country and did find a great hole eventually. Landed…about 15 in a couple of hours there. Nothing huge again but I did get to see bulls, brookies and rainbows out of the same hole.

Did a ton of other searching and scoping that is way too much detail here. Suffice to say I feel like a gave it a real effort to look around. Quite the backyard we have to the West. Love it!

Emerald Lake and the lodge there in the wee hours.

LakeLouise018.jpg

Far side of Emerald where the creek(s) flow in.

LakeLouise020.jpg

View looking down the lake from the creek side.

LakeLouise022.jpg

Caught a bunch of these there.

LakeLouise024.jpg

Out scoping the mighty AthB.

LakeLouise005.jpg

LakeLouise007.jpg

LakeLouise011.jpg

AthB bow.

LakeLouise008.jpg

One of the smallest bullies I’ve caught.

LakeLouise009.jpg