Fly Fusion Forums

Need Some Direction With A Full Sinking Line Or Sink Tip

dkbnmn

Hey guys,

It might be best to start with what I'm using now and where I want to go. Currently using RIO'S WF 6wt with a #6 sink tip (6 ips) attached tip to tip to throw streamers and having problems with loop control and occasionally getting smacked in the back of the head with Klaus minnows. Very helpful dude at fishtails said the issue is my line setup and I would improve my casting with an integrated line. I.e. Scientific angler’s wet tip express or scientific anglers wet tip. Has anyone tried these lines or any others that you would recommend? Should I be looking at a full sinking line and does a full sinking line have the same sink rate and as a sink tip?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

I use the same set up as you do ..Rio gold 6wt, but maybe it is the rod that differs..mine is a 'trout bum-Loop', and I don't have the problem you are having...sorry m8, guess I'm no help............Wolfie

I tried every rod in my price range including the Flight and the Scott a3 (very fast) and had the same problem with all of them.

It sounds like you are creating too long of a head for the line. Adding a 15' (?) section after the head of the WF isn't how the line was intended to be used.

Depending how deep you want to go, I would look into the streamer tip lines, ie WF6S6 which is a single line with a 15' sinking section designed into the head. If you are looking for a bit more versatility, look at the versitip kits. They have a hinge design, but you can change out the tips to get floating, intermediate, type 3 and type 6 tips. 8wt and up also include a type 8 tip I believe.

First those tips are really meant more for spey then single hand...I think, they are grain matched so you likely have to much grain weight in the tip then the line casting it. I'd try 1) cut it shorter till you can use it, its not a crime, I,ve cut mine back to about 10' for my spey rod(s) 2) Try the type 3 tip at full lenght 3) the Orvis streamer express line has a type 5 sink tip about 6'. 4) This is the tough one, cut back you floating line, I'd start at 5-6', butit just about buggers it for anything else. You can use a full sinking line but you will have to strip most of it in before trying to re-cast, which works quite well in runoff to fish streamers on the banks.

You can make your own interchangeable line by cutting the first 10' (or whatever length of tip you want) and using poly leaders or sink tips attached with loop connections. Or, if you have a cheap line you don't mind cutting, making a small loop to loop connection and then "welding" more line material over it to create a seamless junction. Search for welding on Speypages. I did this with an airflo 40+ and it works great.

Hey deek,

If you're hitting yourself in the head you likely aren't waiting quite long enough on the backcast. Focus hard on this and it will help you in all types of casting. Probably the most important part of getting the most out of your casting stroke. I know it hurts but don't feel bad as we've all been there. Also try to focus on shooting it at the trees on the other side of the river. i.e. Throw it up into the air and across to get more out of your cast.

You're setup is a good cheap alternative to extra spools/reels/lines and $$$.

Otherwise, a SA Wet Tip Express is good but I think the 25' sink tip is a bit much. I like just the SA Wet Tip V which has about a 10' sinking section. Can't speak for other brands as I usually stick with SA.

Good Luck!

As others have said, too much weight and length. You've overloaded the rod and it's collapsing during your forecast. Try the WF line, no tip. Long leader(1.5 times the vertical depth required) with your clouser. Sloooooow your cast down, allow the rod to load and do not try a "gun it" during the casting stroke.

j