Fly Fusion Forums

Full Sink Line

Guest ArtVandelay

Hi Guys

I'm FINALLY going to try my hand at lake fishing for trout this weekend at Beaver Lake (and Kamloops in October) and I'd like to pick up a full sinking line for my spool. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Has anyone tried the density compensated lines? The Rio Deep 7 looks interesting. This is for my 6wt.

Thanks...Neil

Similar to the SA Streamer Express Clear Tip? The sink rate appears to be dictated by the line weight. For example, a 200 grain line meant for a 6-7wt has a sink rate of 1.75 ips. If you want a line with a 2.25 ips sink rate then you'd have to move up to a 350 grain line meant for a 9-10 wt. Other lines seem to be available in various sink rates for all rod weights. Do you think 1.75 ips is sufficient?

I would agree,i have a type 6 8wt on my 6wt rod and its down 60' in no time.Niel if you dont have one already get a int. clear sink line.They cast awesome and are perfict for stillwater to 20'.

In Kamloops in October, the trout will be in less than 10', up on the shoals or right at the edge of the drop-offs. "Sight fishing" with floating or clear intermediate lines. Bead head nymphs.

I have used floating lines for this with a 12 foot leader and a fluorcarbon tippet long enough to get as low as needed. Is that what you do as well?

I have used floating lines for this with a 12 foot leader and a fluorcarbon tippet long enough to get as low as needed. Is that what you do as well?

Yup. Most of the time. Up to 16' leader/tippets. Sometimes in gin-clear lakes, like Roche, on the 10' shoals, when the trout have gotten waaaay too nervous, I've used clear intermediate, allow it to lay on the bottom with a 12' leader, weighted nymph and just wait until the cruisers come through, then give the nymph a tiny little tug. :)

j

Thanks for all the great info guys. I have a dumb newbie question though. Other than the obvious sink rate, is there a difference in functionality between a slow and fast sink line? After you wait for the line to hit the bottom, you're just slow stripping, with either line. If you ever fish a sink line in the middle of the water column then you'd have to strip an 8 ips line much faster than a 2 ips line to maitain the depth. Is there ever a need to fish this way in stillwater or is everthing stripped across the bottom? I guess I should go buy a video maybe. Again thanks for all the help.

JV: That is the "issue" with using fast sink lines in stillwater. You may require a Type 8 for a flow somewhere(although there are other ways of getting down) in order to counteract the hydraulic effect of the moving water, but there is no such effect in stillwater, obviously. With the exception of the clear intermediate use(above) I very rarely allow my line to go to the bottom, although there is a floating dragon nymph technique that involves a full sink or Type 5 sinktip, short leader and a floating nymph, when fishing weed beds in the spring.(Line is on/in the weed beds, nymph is floating just above)

In my experience, fast sinking lines are of use in mid-summer, when fishing deep holes, when the fish are down deep in the cooler water, at or just below the thermocline.

After "counting down" the sinking line, I'm not aware of a requirement to "strip faster", as the water tends to be a bit more dense as the depth increases.

j

JV: That is the "issue" with using fast sink lines in stillwater. You may require a Type 8 for a flow somewhere(although there are other ways of getting down) in order to counteract the hydraulic effect of the moving water, but there is no such effect in stillwater, obviously. With the exception of the clear intermediate use(above) I very rarely allow my line to go to the bottom, although there is a floating dragon nymph technique that involves a full sink or Type 5 sinktip, short leader and a floating nymph, when fishing weed beds in the spring.(Line is on/in the weed beds, nymph is floating just above)

In my experience, fast sinking lines are of use in mid-summer, when fishing deep holes, when the fish are down deep in the cooler water, at or just below the thermocline.

After "counting down" the sinking line, I'm not aware of a requirement to "strip faster", as the water tends to be a bit more dense as the depth increases.

j

Caught several large rainbows in a lake around 100 mile house in BC in 64 feet of water using a chromie this spring. Full sink fast dropping line in order there.

After about a couple weeks with the start of the big mayfly hatches these bows were still there but the bite was limited as well as their numbers. Did very well

indeed using intermediate line then.

Later was using floating line, 15 foot leader and indicator and did well once more.

Keep an open, analytical mind and be observant and open to trying new ways.

Yes, I fish Sheridan, also. But that is a specific lake that requires some substantially less than customary tactics. Not many lakes are as absolutely gin-clear as that lake, with substantial sunlight penetration to 40+ feet of depth.

j

Yes, I fish Sheridan, also. But that is a specific lake that requires some substantially less than customary tactics. Not many lakes are as absolutely gin-clear as that lake, with substantial sunlight penetration to 40+ feet of depth.

j

Good one Jack