Fly Fusion Forums

Shooting Backing

kungfool

Hey fellas. I have a question that I havnt seen answered before (I searched the old site). Now that I am comfortable throwing all my fly line I am able to even shoot a bit of backing on really long casts. My question is, does the backing have the potential to wear down the snakes (guides)? We all know the flyline is coated with super duper slip stuff :lol: but backing is rather coarse, or at least mine is.

Any thought about this? Is there special backing you can buy just for this?

Cheers

Depends on what kind of fishing you're doing as to why someone would cast that far. Essentially a shooting head is just a WF section that drags out a ton of backing line. Specialized fly fishing. I've used very long casts in plenty of places in AB and BC with good success when it fits. In situations such as Tarpon or bone fishing a long cast (accurate) can come in awful handy! You just might have to start your hook set in the bow and finish it by running to the stern...hehe

Your standard backing shouldn't affect your guides shooting line or bringing it in. Other backing materials such as kevlar should be avoided as they will cut grooves in guides. The standard woven stuff you buy shouldn't harm your rod one bit.

As Cheeler mentioned, if you backing gets dirty...well he hit it on the head.