Fly Fusion Forums

Do You Feel The Store You Purchase From Is On Your Side?

The biggest thing with this topic really isn't about what is good and what is not but if the store that you shop at have your back.

I hear alot of people saying big box stores don't, which in my own opion I think is a lot of bullshit, cause as I see it, it all comes down to the staff in the store regardless to weather it is a big box store or a small mom and pop's style store.

I have gone into some of the small stores here in Calgary and been absoultly pissed off when I left cause of bad service, pushy sales people or aragont staff, those shops do not get my busniess anymore period.

I do pick up some stuff from big box stores and other stuff I buy at diffrent places.

What I am really tring to get at is know your shop and the people that work there, just cause it is a big box store or a small shop does not automatically mean that you are going to get bad service vs good service, it all depends on the staff.

There is a huge misconception that big box stores are out to get your buck, but tell me this what business out there isn't out there to make a buck? What it really comes down to is not the type of store but the service you recieve at that place, if you don't like it don't shop there.

Also wolfie, as with my sage rod, I was not pushy after 2 months of hearing nothing (I mailed it to them with the replacement money order made out to sage) I asked them about the status of my rod and if they knew when I would be getting it back. The first person I talked to had no idea of what I was talking about and said they checked the computer and there was no record of the rod (However tracking the ups waybill it clearly stated sage at received it) then the second person said they had it but it was on hold, when I asked why, I was told WELL YOU HAVE TO PROVE IT WASN'T MY FAULT, when I told the person that I had sent a money order with the rod just like the online isntruction told me (I also informed the person I wasn't looking for a free rod I just wanted mine fixed and would pay what I needed to pay to get it fixed) to do I was then told there was no money order and I was ling, then when I got the manager then checked once again and said yes they did get the money order. So after three people I finally got a answer, the whole time I was not pushy mean or demanded anything, I just wanted to know where it was, still took 6 months after that to get it back in my hands, but that was mainly because it was discounted and they had none in the warehouse at that time and whated to find a new tip before they upgraded me, which in my own personal opion is fine and dandy.

My kids rods are the low end TFO so I guess if I break them I can quickly get into Calgary and replace them before they know. Gets me thinking -perhaps I should be using their cheap rods which can be replaced quickly if broken and not my built rods which I have to rebuild if I break them (lol). I know I built them to use. Boy am I off topic.

My original point is I like the bargains at the big chain stores but you cannot beat the service from the small guys. We see that in small towns all the time. Sundre Motors (GM) was far better to deal with for a used car this summer than Red Deer. However now GM is closing Sundre because it is not big enough. So my fear of the big chains is that we may appear to gain in value but do we really? Sundre Motors has always stood behind their products here because they know they cannot tick people in a small town off. I think the same holds for any small shop owner. They tick one customer off and he spreads the word and the store hurts. Walmart ticks you off who suffers? I try to boycott Walmart on principle -who suffers, them? I don't think so. Someone spreads the word about Local Joe's Fly Shop and Coffee Bistro and it will suffer.

Having said this I do shop for things at the chains, but realize if I am in trouble with a product I likely will be on my own.

My kids rods are the low end TFO so I guess if I break them I can quickly get into Calgary and replace them before they know. Gets me thinking -perhaps I should be using their cheap rods which can be replaced quickly if broken and not my built rods which I have to rebuild if I break them (lol). I know I built them to use. Boy am I off topic.

My original point is I like the bargains at the big chain stores but you cannot beat the service from the small guys. We see that in small towns all the time. Sundre Motors (GM) was far better to deal with for a used car this summer than Red Deer. However now GM is closing Sundre because it is not big enough. So my fear of the big chains is that we may appear to gain in value but do we really? Sundre Motors has always stood behind their products here because they know they cannot tick people in a small town off. I think the same holds for any small shop owner. They tick one customer off and he spreads the word and the store hurts. Walmart ticks you off who suffers? I try to boycott Walmart on principle -who suffers, them? I don't think so. Someone spreads the word about Local Joe's Fly Shop and Coffee Bistro and it will suffer.

Having said this I do shop for things at the chains, but realize if I am in trouble with a product I likely will be on my own.

Mike,

I understand what you are saying but you are steryo-typing a store just because of one bad experince in one location, does it mean all the stores are that way. I'll tell you what come in to my store, and like I said before don't tell me who you are and see hat typeof service you get from me, and then go to another store location and see what type of service you get there, I bet you they will be very diffrent. Should I be labelled as given bad service because of experince you had in another store? Is it really fair to me?

This whole big box or chain store topics sometimes gets me going cause there is alot of steryo typing that goes on and people have to realize that it is not the company that you got bad service from but that particallur location, like I said before I have been into main small stores and gotten absoultly crap service from does this now mean that the small stores are bad, no way just that particualluer store.

Before I separate my comments to the both of you, I wanted to state that both..have said what I'm sure the rest of us have felt..I like to get my $$$$'s worth , and so yes I shop the big boxes..that's why they are in the business..they buy large quantities , sell for cheaper than the little guys..BUT..I'll tell you this..if that big box doesn't have the staff that shows not only an interest in me, or is willing to share their knowledge..I'm GONE..and that's that! And so far I've been to every shop in Calgary with the exception of two...Fishing hole and the new one everyone has been talking about..South Bow..but that one I will.

bhurt..

..boy they certainly gave you the run a round..Eh!, well I hope you get ur rod back with a new piece, or better still an "Upgrade", now that would be nice...huh!

mikefromsundre..

..Animation1-2.gif..exactly what bhurt said.."you shouldn't judge a book by it's cover", If whatever store you shop in for what our demands, those places should have staff that is "PPL MINDED" and "product knowledgeable"..if not take your hard earn $$$$ to a place that will show u the time of day................Wolfie

Personally I do not like Sage myself, not because of the one bad experince with them but because I have found for myself that I like one product that cost about 1/2 the price and in my own opion is just as good if not better, its kind of spinning myself in loops (hint)

Really I don;t care how long something takes or if I have to pay a small amount to get it replaced I just want to know what is happening, if sage told me right from the beginning that they wanted to see if they could find a replacement tip before upgrading and it might take a little bit of time then I would of been okay with that.

Personally I do not like Sage myself, not because of the one bad experince with them but because I have found for myself that I like one product that cost about 1/2 the price and in my own opion is just as good if not better, its kind of spinning myself in loops (hint)

Really I don;t care how long something takes or if I have to pay a small amount to get it replaced I just want to know what is happening, if sage told me right from the beginning that they wanted to see if they could find a replacement tip before upgrading and it might take a little bit of time then I would of been okay with that.

yes that is what crossed my mind after reading your thing with Sage...and yes..I got the 'hint'..was going there in a few minutes..so I'll close down now...PS:..if you want to meet..You'll have a chance to meet up with my Wolf..ask Toolman how he likes her..............cya m8........Wolfie

Guest rickleblanc

Hawgstoppah, are you sure you have your facts straight? The Fishin' Hole in Calgary has only been open about five years.

By the way, slander is spoken. If it's in print, it's libel.

Rick

must be under new management from 10 yrs ago then becuase I'll never set foot into the one in north calgary again. They wouldnt replace a reel that fell apart the first time it was used and then accused me of "banging it on rocks" and also slandered me on several message boards. Great guys eh?

and this was after I spent over 1000 bucks on a new rod and an islander reel, and the okuma reel that fell apart.

Sorry to hear it. However ten years is a long time. I've only be a regular for ~5 years. So far they've always been good to me. Last year I asked about getting replacement rods for a ice fishing tent I had bought more than a year before. I told them I broke while trying to put the tent away in a very heavy wind and there had been nothing wrong with the tent. I was fully expecting to pay however they gave me the replacement parts for free on the spot. I've had other similar experiences over the years.

They have me as a loyal customer. The only reason I go anywhere else is if they don't have what I want....

I agree I am stereotyping, but in the past when I have had a problem with a warrantied product such as small stereo, DVD player and scroll saw I have been told I had to take it up with the company not the store. When we had problems with a computer printer bought in a local small store and a bbq was missing parts also bought from a local store they did the work for me. They contacted the companies and got the new printer and missing parts. The stereo I ended up throwing away because I was going to have to take it to the companies repair shop in Calgary. The scroll saw I had to deliver to a depot in Red Deer and it was sent away for about 6 months. Thank goodness I have not had similar problems with sports gear, especially fishing gear that has been bought at large chain stores. A friend did have a very good experience with a rifle he bought. I have always found the staff in all Calgary outdoor stores, including Bass Pro to be very friendly and helpful. i also had a favorable response on a pair of leaky waders years ago from Cabelas. I guess my hate is on for the larger consumer box stores.

I myself do hate stereotyping people eg. everyone who owns a quad is a jerk... Faceless large corporations I do not have a problem stereotyping. I have had too many bad experiences with the big stores versus the small independent ones. My experience from all my life in small towns is the jerks that run small independent stores do not succeed. Can the same be said for the big box stores? I do not know.

Hawgstoppah, are you sure you have your facts straight? The Fishin' Hole in Calgary has only been open about five years.

By the way, slander is spoken. If it's in print, it's libel.

Rick

I may have my facts slightly wrong. I remember it being there "grand opening sale" or something and I was shopping for bargains. Perhaps it was only 5 years ago. I'd like to forget it happened.

If it wasnt some annonymous message board name, coming on and posting with facts only the guy I argued with at the store could have known about, and I could prove that... I would have most certainly gone with a legal action. It was that bad. If your now having a good experience there then great, maybe they've turned it around.

Mike,

I understand what you are saying but you are steryo-typing a store just because of one bad experince in one location, does it mean all the stores are that way. I'll tell you what come in to my store, and like I said before don't tell me who you are and see hat typeof service you get from me, and then go to another store location and see what type of service you get there, I bet you they will be very diffrent. Should I be labelled as given bad service because of experince you had in another store? Is it really fair to me?

This whole big box or chain store topics sometimes gets me going cause there is alot of steryo typing that goes on and people have to realize that it is not the company that you got bad service from but that particallur location, like I said before I have been into main small stores and gotten absoultly crap service from does this now mean that the small stores are bad, no way just that particualluer store.

Brad, I think you may be stereotyping big box stores based on the higher standard of service that you give people. I've been to lots of big box stores and good service is the exception, not the rule. To the 17 year old kid who's only working there because the hours are flexible and it's on the bus route you're just another of the faceless masses. It's just the nature of a store that has hundreds of people walk through the door every day. I was once ignored while standing at the fly fishing counter in a local big box sporting goods store while the staff was just shooting the *hit. When I walk into Fish Tales, West Winds, and Country Pleasures (or phone Whistler) the staff either know me by name or at the very least recognize me and always say hi the minute I walk in the door. Staff at the smaller shops also tend to be more knowledgeable and passionate about the industry they're in, while the kid at the big box store is usually just there for a paycheque. And even the younger guys in the local shops are great to deal with.

If you want to look at it from the computer side of things, I only deal with Westworld, Memory Express, or the Apple Store. Getting repairs and warranty work done in those places is straightforward and easy. Also, if I have a complex question the staff is almost always able to give me an answer. At Future Shop, Best Buy, etc. if I ask a question like that I get a blank stare or a complete bullshit answer just so they can get rid of me. Good luck getting a Mac serviced at one of those places too, even though they sell them. And don't get me started on the extended warranty they all push on you. I've worked in a big box computer store and have seen the service, err, I mean lack thereof on a daily basis. I've also heard the sales guys and in-store techs talking in the break room and know what they think of "customer service". If you know exactly what you want and saving a few bucks is important, then go to the big box store. If you need help with your purchase and want the extra mile they tend to go for you, then go to the smaller shop. A few lost sales at a big box store don't impact the bottom line much, but at a smaller shop it affects whether or not they can bring in the new XYZ rod next month.