Fly Fusion Forums

Fish Id?

Guest 420FLYFISHIN

rainbows... redbands... same thing.

O. mykiss in Alberta are so mixed you can't tell them apart unless you find a very isolated population.

And you can't tell by colour... just like most species, there are variations within (and within subspecies). Also trout can change colour... they have pigment cells that adapt to background colours (shade vs open, red gravel vs blue rock).

The parr marks will stay on a fish depending on how fast it matures, genetic variations, and other environmental conditions. There are species/subspecies that keep parr marks, but typically rainbows will lose them after a year or 2.

420, you're catching trout... westslope cutthroats mixed with rainbows from who knows where.

Even distributed black spots, white tipped fins, no slash...

The trout in that picture is a rainbow trout.

Part of the beauty of fishing is the individual variations between fish and not knowing exactly what you will get. Even ignoring Alberta's cluster fak of hatchery transplants of various origins, the variety of expressions found within isolated pure strains can be amazing.

It's a really interesting looking fish that's for sure. Wolfie, that's a cool illustration you found to match.

thanks.....don't tell anyone but i snagged the pic at the bottom, did my graphic thing , then put them both together..all of 10 minutes...and I don't use photoshop. censored.gif .pfffffffft!.........Wolfie

It looks very much like the trout I used to catch in the upper Mcleod, Greg and Embrass Rivers. I always thought they were the Macleod River strain of Rainbows. They seem to keep the parr marks longer that the interlopers, the more silvery bows that seem more prevalent in the lower Mcleod, Wild Hay and Muskeg or further South towards Nordegg. I'm certainly no expert just my two cents.