Fly Fusion Forums

Frustrated

Really think I'm going to get "stoned" for this post, but this is to build up confidence..weedcatcher I was on the river at the time the 'stone hatch' took place BUT was not fly fishing..I came to the river to try out my brand new Center Pin reel and old faithful Noodle rod..well during those moments, I notice the beginning of action of trout sub surfacing, damn ..NO fly rod in the truck! So .. [and here it comes...OK folks, I'm ready.. let it fly]..went and took out my ultra light spinner, and yepper, had two trout and a Rockie mountain whitefish fall to the silver bullet I was flinging. Right then the water started to boil..I counted 7 fish so close to shore just having a whale of a time sucking in those stone flies..I saw a fly fisherman to my left who just hit the water..called him over to fish the spot I was in cause maybe he could get lucky..NO dice..he tried everything he had but couldn't raise a fish..see m8...even though one might think they can catch fish at any time ..Mother Nature is always in control...I've learnt a very serious lesson when I fished a major river for the first time..always hit a fish store and seek out a local who can help with telling you the type of flies, where to fish, and the technic in catching fish for that water...if you don't ask questions m8..you'll never learn.................Wolfie

Thanks all.

A lot of great advice and encouragment has been sent my way. I think the encouragement was what I was looking for most when I originally posted. My wife would be more than happy if I just gave up :rolleyes: I'll work on applying the advice as well. When I was last out I just kept on thinking to keep a positive outlook and not just get frustrated.

Anyways, all the posts are much appreciated. Thanks :cheers:

It was a rant, but also looking for help. Only 10% has fish. I haven't really though of that before. I try to do as you say, though, and look for a dead pocket with faster water coming by. I try to fish the seam of the faster and slower water, and I'm aware that I need to be bounding along the bottom with a drag-free drift. Knowledge and the application of knowledge are 2 different things though. I don't know what is meant by 'high sticking'.

That's exactly it. Knowledge and application are two different things. I, like probably everyone esle, went through this. When I started fly fishing I had trouble catching fish. Then I could catch fish on dries and streamers but not nymphs. Then I could catch fish, except not very many on the Bow. Now I usually put at least one fish on the net when I spend time on the Bow. It's all about practice and getting the subtle bits right. Especially with nymphing I find there is a line you have to cross where all of a sudden you are into a lot of fish. You are probably putting parts of it in the right place, but until you get all the pieces nymphing is tough. If you keep at it you'll get there.

Also remember that getting skunked a few times makes that next fish a whole lot sweeter.