Fly Fusion Forums

Fly Tying Books

bigbrooktrout

Depends on what your looking for: technique or patterns? Technique - The Flytier's Bench Rerference is a must have in my opinion and as for patterns I wouldn't look for a book, just search web for patterns. To my knowledge there is no one book that covers trout , salmon and steelhead very well.

If you're just starting fly tying the Flytyer's Benchside Intro is really good as well, though the Benchside Reference is more complete. The Intro book has a bunch of patterns with instructions and techniques for tying them. I have both and they're the only two tying books I'd never do without.

Steelhead books I recommend are John Shewey "Steelhead Flies" and H. Kent Helvie "Steelhead fly tying guide". These 2 are awesome for the diffrent wing techniques, spey, dee, shrimp style flies. If you also want good reference for patterns with a bit more history, the Chris Mann books are great for this. The benchside books are great and should be in every tyers library IMHO. Schewey's books would be my top pick though.