Fly Fusion Forums

I Am New To Calgaries Fly Fishing

eleazor

hey i am new to the fly fishing around here um was reading lots of blogs and am happy to hear that there is fish to be had in the northwest of calgary!

um is this true? and if so what hooks would be the best for catching both whites and trout.

You can find definitely fish in the North West however the South has higher fish densities. Assuming you are going to be nymphing, I'd start with prince nymph # 14, and a SJW #10 for two flies that will almost always produce. As you'll discover there are thousands of other flies to choice from as well. Note: there is a ton of good advice on the basics on this site if you search through old posts.

http://flyfishcalgary.com/hatch_chart.php

hey i am new to the fly fishing around here um was reading lots of blogs and am happy to hear that there is fish to be had in the northwest of calgary!

um is this true? and if so what hooks would be the best for catching both whites and trout.

Check the hatch charts and try Edworthy Park, Bowness Park, Varsity. I've always had success in those areas.

pick up a city of calgary map you have tons of access points! right nwo fishign hopper droppers in teh shallow faster water or inside seams should produce! i use too love tossing streamers in teh deaper runs up taht way too! dont hesitate too explore and fish a ton of different runs! u will find a good number or browns along teh banks right now too until the river drops in teh next few weeks! also doa search on teh board here there have bin a few discussions on the "upper bow" bow in the nw" fishing bow downtown" etc!