Fly Fusion Forums

Scott S3

Rod "action" is always subject to personal objectivity and past preferences. (Is this a 2pc by any chance?). The S3 is light and fast, but, has a progressive taper that allows a gradual increase in "backbone" as the load deepens below the upper 1/3 of the rod. They are highly sought after. I liken them to a Gatti G4 with "attitude". There are similar rods "out there" that are not as pricey. The S3 is to me, what a fly rod should be like and my own rod design criteria reflect that mindset.

j

I doubt if that's possible. (Here comes the aforementioned subjectivity and preference, as well as some knowledge-based bias) ZAxis is a "casting stick" in my opinion, while Scott tends to build "fishing sticks", even their fast action ones.

j

I have always used G loomis rods, and still do. I have never used an XP or Zaxis and therefore cannot comment on them. I am just not a sage guy.

I will tell you that I am very, very happy with my 4pc 5wt Scott S3 which i picked up two years ago. In fact it is an amazing casting rod, and as close to perfection that I have ever felt.

See if you can head to a shop to cast one and get a feel for yourself. I dont think I have ever heard anything negative about them.

Carlo Dabroads