Fly Fusion Forums

I Challenge All Fishermen To Exercise Your

Guest Sundancefisher

I see nothing wrong with balance and creating a more prolonged harvest put and take fishery that will carry a larger number of man hours of fishing pressure before being fished out.

The best thing we can do in this general area of Calgary is to create better and more effective fisheries that cover certain niches like put and takes.

From my fence post you see nothing wrong because you're looking through tinted glasses. The funds and energies you spend creating a more prolonged put and take fishery ends in virtually the same way, 5% of the fishers taking 95% of the fish. The only difference is the time frame they do it in. Not that it will take them any more fishing time, they'll just have to fish the pot hole for shorter times more frequently.

The best thing we can do in this general area of Calgary is to create better and more effective fisheries that cover certain niches like put and takes? I beg to differ. The best thing we could do is to have an effective Alberta Fisheries Management that acutally manages the fisheries, all fisheries, not based on political pressure but rather based on ecological and biological merit. The best thing we could do is to protect the water resource by reclaiming the banks, diminishing erosion and giving the water courses of Alberta a protective hand toward fisheries sustainability. The best thing we could do is harness your conviction and energies, however misdirected they currently are, and focus them toward meaningful stewardship of our Alberta fisheries.

If all you want to do is to focus entirely on one fishery, count me out, I'm not buying your propaganda. If you want to starting talking about preserving fisheries throughout Alberta, I'd be more willing to lend an ear.

From my fence post you see nothing wrong because you're looking through tinted glasses. The funds and energies you spend creating a more prolonged put and take fishery ends in virtually the same way, 5% of the fishers taking 95% of the fish. The only difference is the time frame they do it in. Not that it will take them any more fishing time, they'll just have to fish the pot hole for shorter times more frequently.

The best thing we can do in this general area of Calgary is to create better and more effective fisheries that cover certain niches like put and takes? I beg to differ. The best thing we could do is to have an effective Alberta Fisheries Management that acutally manages the fisheries, all fisheries, not based on political pressure but rather based on ecological and biological merit. The best thing we could do is to protect the water resource by reclaiming the banks, diminishing erosion and giving the water courses of Alberta a protective hand toward fisheries sustainability. The best thing we could do is harness your conviction and energies, however misdirected they currently are, and focus them toward meaningful stewardship of our Alberta fisheries.

If all you want to do is to focus entirely on one fishery, count me out, I'm not buying your propaganda. If you want to starting talking about preserving fisheries throughout Alberta, I'd be more willing to lend an ear.

Some of the put and take fisheries around Calgary were never fisheries until they were created and stocked, same goes for lots of other P&T lakes and "trophy" pothole lakes and ponds throughout the Province. Are you suggesting they should have never be stocked or created in the first place, only C&R? When you use the phrase "preserving fisheries" it lends itself to among other things, no kill. please clarify.

Guest Sundancefisher

Fishing a natural fishery is great and your choice. Such a fishery will never withstand the onslaught of all people going to your same favorite places. Just because you do not wish to fish a pothole...does not take that option from someone else. To go one past your extreme...why have any native fisheries at all. Why not preserve and protect them from any and all angling? I am not promoting one agenda over another...but assuming you never fish Bullshead...think of all those people showing up before you at all your favorite places.

There is a place for the recreational sport and a place for the zen experience you enjoy.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Sundancefisher
Fishing a natural fishery is great and your choice. Such a fishery will never withstand the onslaught of all people going to your same favorite places. Just because you do not wish to fish a pothole...does not take that option from someone else. To go one past your extreme...why have any native fisheries at all. Why not preserve and protect them from any and all angling? I am not promoting one agenda over another...but assuming you never fish Bullshead...think of all those people showing up before you at all your favorite places.

There is a place for the recreational sport and a place for the zen experience you enjoy.

Mt Lorette ponds already fished out! Please send in an email to try and fix the regulations so that we can have a prolonged viable recreational fishery!

Sun

I like the idea of spreading it out to other water bodies as well. I live in Canmore, a short distance from Grotto Pond. There have been days when I've taken my daughter out there & she's gotten frustrated with not being able to find an area where she can stand to cast without, literally, rubbing elbows with someone else. There have even been times when I've had to chase someone back because they're squeezing her out of her spot.

Often times I've taken her out & there have been families of 5 or 6 people each trying to get their limit. This not only takes up a lot of room on the shoreline, but eliminates the number of fish that are available for her to try & catch. Usually we end up going to find somewhere else less crowded for her to try. Without the advantage of numbers you get in a stocked pond she often goes home feeling disappointed about not having caught anything.

She still likes to go fishing with me & having some daddy/daughter time, but I have a feeling that will change if she keeps going home disappointed.

I'll take the time to voice my opinion, then maybe I won't have to see the disappointment in her face anymore. Or my son's when he gets a little bigger & I start taking him too.