Fly Fusion Forums

Reel Advice

Hi all, I'm new to the forum and new to fly fishing as well. I'm not going to ask for everyones favorite spots, don't worry. As I said I'm new so I just want a good all around rod and reel to start off with. I've been looking for my first reel to put on a Sage FLi 6wt I just picked up. I bought a new Ross Rhythm and I know it's a great reel, but I found some Tiogas on sale for super cheap. Anyone have experience with either or even better BOTH of these reels? Would I be better to save myself $100 and go with the Tioga? Thanks in advance for any help!!

Welcome to the board! Just found it myself about a month ago. Hope you'll enjoy it as much as I have....

As for the reel advice. My wife bought me a Sage Fli 690 two Christmas' ago and I ended up going with the Ross CLA 3, which balances the rod nicely. I've really enjoyed the reel and its helped me handle quite a few fish here and in MT. Also, I'm pretty rough on my equipment and I've taken a few nasty spills on rocks with it and it keeps on tickin'. I'm building a 4wt now and am planning to go with a Ross R2 for that one. In fact, Fishtales has a sale on some reels right now (Ross included) that you may want to check out.

Hi all, I'm new to the forum and new to fly fishing as well. I'm not going to ask for everyones favorite spots, don't worry. As I said I'm new so I just want a good all around rod and reel to start off with. I've been looking for my first reel to put on a Sage FLi 6wt I just picked up. I bought a new Ross Rhythm and I know it's a great reel, but I found some Tiogas on sale for super cheap. Anyone have experience with either or even better BOTH of these reels? Would I be better to save myself $100 and go with the Tioga? Thanks in advance for any help!!

hey man ross is great but ive got a LA tioga 4 and its awesome!! p.s where are the cheap tioga's cause ive got a brand new 7wt fli that needs a reel!

Welcome to the board!

Everyone will have lots of good things to say about the Pflueger Trion or President.. including myself. :)

I agree, the Pflueger Trion is a great reel, just started running two of them this season. From what I have experienced great bang for your buck!

Welcome to the addiction!

Fishtales has both their Ross and Tiogas on sale. The last Ross is on hold, but Wholesale has them for a little cheaper actually. The Tiogas at Fishtales are 45% off, so they are going for about $85 before tax. At that price they are selling the Tiogas fast, so if you want one bowriverrob, I'd suggest getting over there ASAP.

Fishtales has both their Ross and Tiogas on sale. The last Ross is on hold, but Wholesale has them for a little cheaper actually. The Tiogas at Fishtales are 45% off, so they are going for about $85 before tax. At that price they are selling the Tiogas fast, so if you want one bowriverrob, I'd suggest getting over there ASAP.

thanks dude i made it just before they closed! got my reel!!