Fly Fusion Forums

Problems With Using A Bobbin Holder

Wanny

So i just picked up tying about a month ago. My vise didn't come with a bobbin holder so I made one out of a coat hanger. When i put the bobbin on the holder it seems to unravel the thread on the hook. I changed the angle lower so the thread pulls more at a downward angle, which helps. Is this what most people do?

It seems like the Nor-Vise has the holder horizontal to the vise which makes sense for a rotary so it wont wind the thread while rotating the vise. Are there any tricks to having it horizontal and not unraveling?

Other than that i am really enjoying tying.

So i just picked up tying about a month ago. My vise didn't come with a bobbin holder so I made one out of a coat hanger. When i put the bobbin on the holder it seems to unravel the thread on the hook. I changed the angle lower so the thread pulls more at a downward angle, which helps. Is this what most people do?

It seems like the Nor-Vise has the holder horizontal to the vise which makes sense for a rotary so it wont wind the thread while rotating the vise. Are there any tricks to having it horizontal and not unraveling?

Other than that i am really enjoying tying.

It will unravel with a Norvise as well if you don't at least use a half hitch before extending your thread to the bobbin holder /cradle.

It will unravel with a Norvise as well if you don't at least use a half hitch before extending your thread to the bobbin holder /cradle.

Just make sure you do not have a bead or any thing else near the eye of the hook and when you pull the thread to the bobbin holder that the thread catches the eye of the hook you will notice that the open end of the eye is toward you, the thread actually catches under that and will stay there. You can spin you NOR-VISE, I do it all the time and with my Griffin vise also.