Fly Fusion Forums

Urgent Trunk Road Question

Hey Guys,

Im doing a 2 week trip on the trunk starting this weekend. My plan is to start around south Ram and work my way North. I was planning on strictly walking but just had a thought.......is there any stretchs of water say on the south or north ram, blackstone ect that a guy can float with a pontoon boat. Obviously it only works if you can stage another vehicle at a downstream crossing.

Are there any stretches like this that you would recommend?

Thanks and ill post my results upon my return in August

If you see a jacked up 98 blue chev with a camper, stop by for a beer.

Luke

Wow, sounds like a good trip you have planned 1st riddle, I agreee a HUGE NO to floating any of them stretches up there. Are you going alone, maybe I'll join ya for a day. If you are taking a trip with your boyfriend, I'll understand that you may want some alone time.

Have Fun

Firstriddle, the problem with most of the floats in the area you are talking is that they are not floated on a regular basis and some are not floated at all, ever. It would be tough to give you a go ahead on any of the trunk road rivers due to the fact that the conditions on these rivers can change quickly. What may have been a safe stretch of river to float on one day may be hazardous the next. I don't expect your going to get a thumbs up on any of the rivers from the guys on the forum. If you decide to tackle one, I would suggest getting as much good advice from the locals as possible. Play it safe.

Either that or take your chances on rivers that have a marked canoe route.... but this still could result in an untimely death by drowning as some canoe routes are pretty intense...... Also make sure you have a map that shows portage sections, rapids, or falls........ I would keep this trip for scouting and make note of which stretchs of which rivers would be floatable by your standards. Seems to me most stretchs of most rivers would be perfectly safe but it only takes one obstruction that you can't back away from. I also figure you are already out on the river and this is kinda redundant LOL.

PS were you by anychance parked friday the 13th at the north sask river crossing near nordegg with a pontoon in the back of the truck...... memory isn't so great but the rig I seen was similar to what you had described. I actually just about stopped and asked the guy what the fishing is like on the N sask as it looks awesome right now.... Still a little cloudy near nordegg but fishable.