Fly Fusion Forums

Danvise Problem

birchy

I'm trying to get tying again and last night I noticed that when I spin my Danvise, the shank is staying straight, but moves up and down slightly during the rotation.

DanviseImage3.jpg

So far I haven't been able to find my "setup" CD that came with it, so i'm not sure if it's an adjustment issue, or something else?

I'm trying to get tying again and last night I noticed that when I spin my Danvise, the shank is staying straight, but moves up and down slightly during the rotation.

DanviseImage3.jpg

So far I haven't been able to find my "setup" CD that came with it, so i'm not sure if it's an adjustment issue, or something else?

Birchy: There are three things that come to mind as I have been tying with the Danvise for over a year now. First make sure that the top adjustment is properly tightened that hold the main jaw still and in place. If it is loose or the knob won't keep it still then you could have a problem with the threads and the knob itself. Also there is a proper method to mount the hook in the Danvise jaws. It goes something like this (from the CD) - Put the hook into the jaws and tighten the jaws till they just start to touch or lightly grab the hook using the side knob. Then using the locking arm underneath it will then grab the hook much tighter and should keep it in position. There is also a possibility that the jaws mechanism has gotten bent somehow. The best way to test this is to use a straight sewing needle and mount it like you do a hook and then rotate to see if it stays straight and doesn't wobble. Hope this helps and just my two cents worth. Happy tying