Fly Fusion Forums

Pontoon Boat - Best Bang For Your Buck

mkm

hey all,

My buddy and I are looking to purchase new pontoon boats over the winter for next season. I was wondering what length of boat is best for the bow...what brand is in your opinion the best...and what boat is the best bang for our hard earned buck? I would love to get lots of feedback.

Thanks,

Mike

Nearly any pontoon can float the Bow, but an 8' boat is a good idea.

Cheap boats go for $500 but you can spend over $1500.

Personally, I'd go with Outcast PACs. They're bombproof and comfortable. However, there are a lot of other companies out there now and if you want to save a few bucks they aren't bad.

The following features are worth watching out for:

-aluminum frames don't rust and are much, much lighter

-polyurethane bladders are a lot stronger than PVC

-thermally welded bladders and pontoons hold together better but cost more

-a proper built in anchor system is really nice to have

-a good comfy seat is important

-leifield valves are more reliable and easier to use than summits

Most of the included stuff is garbage (rod holders, pumps, etc), but it will get you by if you aren't using the boat a ton.

My PAC 900 is 8 years old, and the boat and all of the accessories it came with still work like the day I bought them. I've seen a lot of other newer junk in rough shape by comparison.

In my opinion, you should either pick up one of the low-end steel clunkers and save some money or get a nice shiny PAC. Outcast's warranty service is awesome and the PAC series boats are made in the US.

hey all,

My buddy and I are looking to purchase new pontoon boats over the winter for next season. I was wondering what length of boat is best for the bow...what brand is in your opinion the best...and what boat is the best bang for our hard earned buck? I would love to get lots of feedback.

Thanks,

Mike

CDocks Outcast Discover 8 by far...

Guest Outcasts

I own a pac1200 (pretty rare) and love it to death for 2500 its the best two person boat you could buy, ive seen creek company boats puncture and im not convinced of the scattons yet. My dad is lookin right now and ill tell you if you want a lightly used one (almost all are barely used) just google pontoon boat for sale, we found lots but after being spoiled by being able to stand up on the 1200 my dad wont buy a pontoon without the stand up option, so i think if its possible for you to budget 1000 bucks the discovery 10ir standup is an amazing build and damn good lookin unit and will take on anything the bow can throw at you...maybe if we get them together a discount could be in order....ill call wholesale!!! In any case good luck but i do believe outcast to be your best bet, you might spend a little more but its a lifetime investment just like a good 5weight, you wont need another pontoon again.