Fly Fusion Forums

Swinging Streamers?

thevalkrye

when is it a good time to switch over to streamers? if the fish aren't rising you can either nymph or use streamers....why would you choose one over the other? are streamers a good "rainy day" tactic or are there better options?...just trying to increase my killing power..thanks guys

Guest RedWiggler

If you are going to use a streamer perhaps try white first, I have found white to be the most productive color for streamers on the bow. If nothing is happening definitly go with a white streamer (clouser minnow, bow river bugger, wooly bugger etc), swing it all the way down stream and strip it back to you, tight line always. :coldest:

If you aren't having any luck on dries or nymphs then streamers are definitely worth a shot. Some days I head out with the intention of only fishing streamers. They can also be really effective in the dark or when the water is cloudy because of their size. If you go by the theory that fish "see" using their lateral lines when there's little visibility then it makes sense that they'll detect a size 6 streamer moving more water easier than a size 16 nymph. Since a fish typically won't expend more energy to eat than it gains from the food they may be more willing to move for a streamer than a tiny nymph if there isn't a steady supply of nymphs in their feeding lanes. If you see lots of baitfish in the water and not much bug activity, something like a clouser might be a good bet. It all comes down to knowing what's in and around the water, whether it's bugs, minnows, or leaches.

When you fish a streamer, do the swing and strip like RedWiggler says, but make sure to let it dangle for a second or so at the bottom of the swing. I get the majority of my hits on the dangle or the first strip, though sometimes they'll hit during the swing or follow the streamer all the way to your feet. Also, vary the way you strip the streamer in. Sometimes they like slow and steady but small, fast, jerky strips can be really effective.

• 2 weeks later...