Fly Fusion Forums

Looking For A Guide For Vancouver Island....

Hey guys, I figure its a bit of a longshot looking for a reccomendation on a Calgary flyfishing site, but I figure our fly world is pretty small I thought I would give it a try. My girlfriend and I are heading out to Ucluelet/Tofino/Port Alberni area next week for a week or so and I'm looking to get into some good sized steelies. I have spent way to much time in front of the computer trying to find some good guides, and I have tracked down a few but I'm hoping someone might know somebody or have a good reccomendation for me. I'm looking to do a full day float kinda thing and am really easy going and always up to guided suggestions on where to go. Thanks!

Donnie

I just got back from Tofino. I spoke with a former guide while I was there and he recommended Tonquin Park Beack. Just drive past the hospital. Turn right at the kids park and follow the signs. You can fish from 2 separate points (both to your right after you follow the path to the beach) for coho.

I didn't get to fish for long (only an hour) but I saw quite a few rising while I was there. fish the channels between the point and the rocks on the first point. The second point has an eddy that forms when the tide goes out that is pretty good too.

The guide I spoke with said it's one of his favourite spots. It's absolutely beautiful there even if you don't catch anything.

I have heard that Grice bay is good too but didn't get a chance to try it.

Good Luck!

here's a couple tonquin pics:

http://s214.photobucket.com/albums/cc189/b...nt=IMG_0173.jpg

http://s214.photobucket.com/albums/cc189/b...nt=IMG_0184.jpg

I don't know about the guides, being well down on the broke end of life, but Grice bay will give you a decent chance at sea run cutts and coho. Without a boat, you will only be able to fish from the boat launch area, but you will stand a good chance of fish every time. Fish the ebb tide, especially the bottom half, and use pink flies ( I say again, use PINK flies). Spent 5 days in Tofino last September and got fish at Grice every day. Also try fishing from rocks where they butt onto sand beaches. Use a fast sinking head and smallish flies (2-3 inches long) in red or chartreuse to get some surf perch. Hard fighters and cooperative. Have a hoot. It's a great area.