Fly Fusion Forums

The Wiggy

first and foremost hello, i'm a first time poster but a long time reader. so i figured whats a better way to break the ice then to come to you guys with my little conundrum. folks i am sitting in bed at 4 in the morning with my weary hands tired from tying flies all day for a trip down to the wigwam. however since this is my first time going and i am going by myself i am at a loss for how to access the river. so in a last ditch effort i am asking for any directions on accessing the river. i hear its beautiful country and i have been wanting to hit it since i first started fishing but i am willing to give another place a shot if the outlook doesn't look good.

tight lines,

deeboo

Access on the Wigwam is tough. There are a few places that you can drive right down to the river, but plan to share those sections with a number of other people.

Your other option is to park on the ridge and climb/hike in. Grab a "Backroads Mapbook" and go exploring. The other reason noone talks about it on forums is that it is very difficult to describe how to access different sections.

I can suggest one spot...Just after you drive across Lodgepole, park by the gates and follow the road until you see the river.

I will also say that if you are going alone, (or with others for that matter), be sure to have protective measures in place for Grizzly Bears. The Wigwam Valley is the 2nd most populated Grizzly Bear Valley and although you don't often see them because the Bush is so thick....they are there and they see you. It's a feeding frenzy at this time of year. Spray, Bells, Whistles, Bangers, etc. are a must when fishin the Wiggy.

Who knows, we might see you out there.

:P Or Just bring someone slower with you like my cousin Swampdonkey75 :P

Access on the Wigwam is tough. There are a few places that you can drive right down to the river, but plan to share those sections with a number of other people.

Your other option is to park on the ridge and climb/hike in. Grab a "Backroads Mapbook" and go exploring. The other reason noone talks about it on forums is that it is very difficult to describe how to access different sections.

I can suggest one spot...Just after you drive across Lodgepole, park by the gates and follow the road until you see the river.

I will also say that if you are going alone, (or with others for that matter), be sure to have protective measures in place for Grizzly Bears. The Wigwam Valley is the 2nd most populated Grizzly Bear Valley and although you don't often see them because the Bush is so thick....they are there and they see you. It's a feeding frenzy at this time of year. Spray, Bells, Whistles, Bangers, etc. are a must when fish the Wiggy.

Who knows, we might see you out there.

:P Or Just bring someone slower with you like my cousin Swampdonkey75 :P

lol thanks for the info, its still not a go yet but i am still contemplating it. i bought a banger for the trip but i cant find flares for the life of me (damn red deer shops closing on sunday so they can go fishing!!!) but yeah i will let you guys know how she goes if i do make it out there. regardless i am going fishing and i am going to catch a bull bigger then twelve inches for the freakin life of me....its been far to long for me not to catch a nice sized bull, its almost like i'm living in a constant state of defeat.

Thanks missing the bow....I just got home from fishing the wiggy and had no idea about the severity of the bear issue. That was until we were about 4km from where we parked and a huge black bear was standing on the road. Funny thing was, as we were fishing both myself and tgo kept thinking we heard stuff in the bushes.

mkm