Fly Fusion Forums

Dslr Recommendations

Conor

I am looking to buy an entry level DSLR and lens.

I am looking for a recommendation for a decent body and basic lens. I'd like to spend less than $600 total. This will be used for basic family stuff, landscapes, etc. Easy automation would be a bonus, too. However, I sometimes have a creative kick, so I don't want to be too limited.

Conor,

All of the four major DSLR companies (Nikon, Sony, Canon and Pentax) make good gear. I am now a Sony person as I was a Minolta guy for 40 years and stayed with the lens mount when Sony bought Minolta. However, were I starting out, I'd go Nikon. Period. Canon is most popular (and I'll take some heat here), but you want to check into the ease (or difficulty) of their menus before deciding on Canon. My Sony A700 has wonderful controls and I rarely have to go into the camera's menu. The ISO, WB, and drive modes are changed with external dials/switches and the entire setting system is displayed on a large color LCD screen on the back. IMHO it is superior to the equivalent Nikon bodies in ease of use. Sony is short of lenses (and they are expensive), although they'd released some new ones this year and I bought two of them--and sold two older ones.

At that budget you are looking at something like the Nikon D40 .. or equivalent. Kit lenses are never great, but for general photography, they are fine.

Lose your head inside here for a while...

Good luck,

Clive

Hey Conor,

I just went through this, you can spend hours researching all the different types. there are a couple of real good review site. Unfortunately I erased them from my favorites. Use google that is how I found them.

I went with the Nikon D80 more because I needed a little more speed for sports action shots and compatability with a good zoom. The D40 is a good beginner in the Nikon. If you are looking to add lenses be cafefull not all the Nikon lenses are compatable with the D40.

I also have family members with Pentax, I think K10 and they like that one as well. it is pretty much the same as the D40. I found Cannon a little more expensive and don't know a lot about the sonys

My biggest advice is take your time researching.

Conor,

For that price range get the D60, which is packaged with a nice little 18-55 VR lens.

To be honest I'd kick your price range up a bit and buy a body and the 18-200 VR - it's an awesome lens that gets great reviews from everyone. It's a little heavier, but it covers so much range and kicks so much ass.

Do a quick search on here for SLR. When I was faced with this same issue earlier this year I got some awesome advice from quite a few folks here and I'm really happy that I followed it. I went with the D40x which is essentially the same as the D60.

One note of interest - you might want to look at getting a camera that can do autobracketing to allow easy HDR photos (google HDR photography and you'll see what I mean). The D40x doesn't have it automatically onboard and I sorta wish I'd stepped it up a notch.

Also, don't forget that you're going to need a bag, UV filter, lenspen, and a good memory card. It will add up on you in a hurry, but it's totally worth it. The quality of SLR photos right out of the box will impress you.

Now if I could only justify picking up that 60mm f2.8 macro lens for $600...

rusty makes some good points...getting a new camera cam be like getting into fly tying... worse than drugs...

"The D40x doesn't have it automatically onboard and I sorta wish I'd stepped it up a notch."

HDR is getting a tad technical, but can save some pix in a few instances--and make for cool images as well. My A700 has a DRO (HDR) feature built in ... won't go into details here...

rusty's main point is that it does not stop at the camera and lens....." ... bag, UV filter, lenspen, and a good memory card. It will add up on you in a hurry..."

Another thing lost an folks...all of a sudden the file sizes are huge. My BIL's D80 files are only about 3 to 6 MB each off his D80 ... the files off my 12mp A700 camera with good lenses (lenses make a diff to file size believe it or not..sharper the lens the more detail the more data to record) range from 8 to 13MB per XF JPEG image and RAW are 18MB per image...RAW + jpeg ar 23-25 MB per image........ Point being? Your computer has to be able to handle this stuff... you need a minimum of 2 GB RAM and preferably 3 or more....hard drive space starts to fill fast ... I am on the verge of getting a new terabyte HD and I already have close to a TB in HD storage.

Card -- at least a 2GB ..if you take a lot you'll need way more..I am currently using (what??) 12 GB of cards (2 by 4 Gb and a some 1 and 2GB cards..I dunno) and one week away can pressure that space if I don't have a means of dumping files, i.e. no travel laptop.

Cover the lens with a UV filter...

If you are into artsy scenics a polarizing filter is a must have too. Sexy dark blue skies and dramatic clouds--if you are into that. They run about $100 for a good one .. get a "thin" one ...

Good telephoto .. good macro ... a second job ... good divorce lawyer ..... :lol:

canola-0542.jpg

katydid3338-0.jpg

dragon-3193.jpg

goose-2593.jpg

wren-1880.jpg

Last month I picked up a sony A200. The camera is a 10.1 mega pixel, comes with a 18-70mm lens and cost me $499 at London drug. So far the camera seems awesome and for me being technically challenged I have had no issues taking some good pics. The only problem is I am afraid to take it anywhere near the water so no fishing pics yet!

Mike

Dont be afraid to check out olympus too. I just picked up an Olympus E-510 (last years model) at Fut. Shop for $499 with one of the better kit lenses out there (as per internet reviews). that sale might be done but its worth lookin around.

Further the difference between last years E510 and this years E520 is de minimus and definately not worth the 30% difference. Zuiko(olympus) makes SICK lenses and since the image stabilization is in the camera body, the lenses are much cheaper as compared to Nikon or Canon for a high end lens.