Fly Fusion Forums

Night Float

Does anyone have advice for doing a night float. Is it crazy dangerous? I was thinking maybe from Glenmore to Policeman's with the last couple hours in the dark. Would a full moon give enough light?

If I could still do it I'd be on the river every Full Moon . Word of caution if you want to fish anchor or pull over to shore . At night you don't have the reaction time to avoid sweepers and rocks . I used to take my 16 ft canoe by myself better if you can go with a buddy . You'll find just drifting

the river at night very relaxing without another soul in sight I did ./Clyde

My soon-to-be son-law guides on the Bow and takes clients on night floats every year. He says a full moon gives more than enough light but then again he knows the river very well. They did a full moon float last Friday night /Saturday morning and he said the fishing was awesome. Lots of double headers. The big browns come out to play after dark I'm told. All dry fly fishing. Last weekend the fish were taking stoneflies on the surface. They often launch from 22x, fish for a few hours set up camp and caddis fish most of the night from shore, sleep a couple of hours and then float downstream at sun up. I'm still having trouble getting my butt going by 10 in the morning but some night I may tag along in my pontoon. I'm still a little chicken I guess but it does sound like fun.

Rick.