Fly Fusion Forums

Red Deer River Near Drumheller

Hi, I have been fly fishing strictly just in Bow river. Next weekend, my family are going to go camping in Drumheller area. I want to know if we can fly fish Brown trout or anything in that part of the river. I know around the city of Red Deer, we can catch walleyes and brown trout. I want to fly fish for brown, walleye and gold eyes if there are there. if not, I better bring my spin cast rod and try something different.

Anyone has any experience there? tips? any type of fly? I know the river would be siltier than Bow.

Appreciate your advice.

Goldeye can be fun to catch in that section, try dries, nymphs, or small white streamers. Walleye and pike are also in there, but I don't know if there's any browns that far down. Larger nymphs and streamers for those guys, and if the water is still murky and high use a heavier tippet (0 or 1 x). There could also be a few old rockies around; Usually catch 1 or 2 when fishing for goldeye.

Goldeye, walleye, sauger and pike are your options. Spinning gear would be a good idea, use small plastic minnows. Saw a fellow there doing well with them. Saw lots of goldeye rising in a recent trip. Fish the fishy looking water with big dries and I think you'll connect.