Fly Fusion Forums

Emerging Chironomid

Weedy1

I'm looking for a decent emerging chironomid pattern; one that mimics the fly in the surface film or close to it. I have experimented with several different patterns but I am not impressed with either the floatability or the look of the fly from below the water surface. (I float them in a fish tank to see their appearance.) What I am looking for is a pattern that will float on or within a few inches of the water surface that does not have to use so much hackle or foam to make it float that it takes away from the "look" of the fly. To be used without indicators.

Anyone have any ideas or patterns?

Thanks

I dunno if it will give you the look your after, but Ive tried heat shrink (used in electrical applications) over the hook sealed on both ends to trap a small pocket of air around the hook, It's tough to work with but may give you the effect you need...Ive used it mostly for beatle/hopper bodies...

It depends how dry the CDC is, but a fresh fly should sit with the fly below the water, and the cdc in the surface film. You can use a shorter length of cdc out the top. (about the length of the head) You won't really see it unless your up above it. After a fish, of a few casts, it should suspend a couple mm under the surface. You can use a CDC floatant to improve the float, but I don't think the few mm's below will deter any takes.

Let me know how you do with them.

These are variations of midges as they sit in the surface when/after emerging. They crawl out of the shuck on the surface. The top two show the shuck which is a fine griz hackle tip. One has the Antron wing and one without. The bottom one is a winged midge dry only. Simple ties.

midges.jpg

Darren, I tied a variation of the Shuttlecock and tried it at Muir - one hit in a 1/2 hr or so. I'm trying to determine what the fish at Muir have been hitting on the surface for the last week or so. There only seems to be sporadic damsel nymphs and a few midges here and there so what they are keying in on has been tough to determine. I noticed an abundance of snails on the surface yesterday but doubt that is what their hitting.

The fish are surfacing quite high and showing their entire lengths. They are also getting airborne sometimes but I don't think this is necessarily related to what they a surface feeding on. Anyone have a guess as to what they may be taking? I’m thinking the emerger stage of the midge but whether the midge is ascending still or breaking out I don’t know. I’ll give a few more recipes a try including yours Clive.

Could they also be so picky at times to only take a midge as it is emerging as opposed to the pupae stage a foot or two under the water?

The other fly I would try, just because I have a lot of success with it, is a low wing CDC & Elk. Don't dress it at all, and fish it on Fluorocarbon if you have it. It should sit an inch or so below the surface. Change this up with an EHC floating right on top. Based on the way they are jumping, I would agree, it sounds like midges ascending. Phil and I pumped a couple fish out there last year and found lots of Micro chartreuse Chironomids in there. Hard to imitate.

One other thing that has done well at Muir for me is a heavy back swimmer. Lead under body, black rubber legs, olive chenille black crystal flash shell back.

I noticed an abundance of snails on the surface yesterday but doubt that is what their hitting.

Next time you get one, give it a little shake. If it sounds like a maraca, start tying sparkle snails. :)