Fly Fusion Forums

Pictures Disappearing???

I got a new laptop recently and just discovered something very strange, (and very frustrating), happening.

The folders on my desktop that I saved pictures to for various fishing outings have no pictures in them anymore!!! They somehow deleted themselves.... :angry:

I know they were there and I know I didn't delete them, but they're gone. Luckily, I saved most of them on my Photo Bucket page, but the ones I didn't, seem to be gone for good. I am the only person that uses the laptop, so I know it wasn't someone else deleting them.

The fishing pictures suck to lose, but I also lost the pictures in the folder for my youngest daughter's Birthday party.

Must be another one of Vista's bonus features!

Has anyone else had this happen?

I got a new laptop recently and just discovered something very strange, (and very frustrating), happening.

The folders on my desktop that I saved pictures to for various fishing outings have no pictures in them anymore!!! They somehow deleted themselves.... :angry:

I know they were there and I know I didn't delete them, but they're gone. Luckily, I saved most of them on my Photo Bucket page, but the ones I didn't seem to be gone for good. I am the only person that uses the laptop, so I know it wasn't someone else deleting them.

The fishing pictures suck to lose, but I also lost the pictures in the folder for my youngest daughter's Birthday party.

Must be another one of Vista's bonus features!

Has anyone else had this happen?

I would be looking to see if you have been hacked. That would be my num 1 guess.

That was my first thought, but after running a number of checks, I eliminated that possibility.

No Trojans, Worms, etc. Plus, even if it was a hacker, it doesn't make sense. To just randomly delete a few fishing pictures from folders wouldn't really prove anything. Maybe it is the work of the worst hacker in the world.... :blink:

I think it is just more Vista BS myself.

Oh well, more reason to back up all of my pics on my External HD as soon as I save them.

have had similar stuff happen between my home (XP) and work (Vista) machines...copy stuff to a folder on my home computer, bring it to work copy and it works fine until I need it again..then its gone and I look like a fool..Bill Gates and Peter Norton are high on my "jackasses of a lifetime" list.

Is it a possibility that you've used 2 different cameras to take those pics? The software pulling pictures from your camera to your computer may have overwritten some of your old pics if the filename was exactly the same....

Say for example you have a canon camera...each picture it takes saves the file as imgxxxxx.jpg where xxxx is an integer that increments by 1 for each picture during the lifetime of the camera. If you have another camera that saves pictures with the same filename format its possible that when these photos were written to your pictures folder by your camera software, that older files with the same filenames were overwritten....hope this makes sense.

Yeah, I tried a search and got nothing. It's no big deal, just strange. I back all photos and video up as soon as I put them on my computer, so I didn't lose anything important.

I have only put pictures on from one camera and have only been using this laptop for less than a month, so there isn't a lot on it so far.

Windows response was simply..."There are some bugs with Vista we are still working on. Thank you for your inquiry and hopefully it will be fixed now that it has been brought to our attention...."

Between Vista and having to adapt to the changes made to Office 2007, I'm not the biggest PC fan at the moment.

Brett, I heard on the news thursday or friday morning about a virus that attacked jpeg files (most commonly used for photo's) and did something with encryption (5am in the morning and I am not fully awake)

Maybe talk to headscan he knows more about that stuff then myself.

This is the thing Brad's talking about:

http://www.symantec.com/en/me/security_res...-99&tabid=2

I don't think that's it, though. You'd be seeing a message pop up on your screen all the time and other files like Word docs and Excel spreadsheets would be missing as well. Still a good idea to give the computer a scan with up to date AV software.

Being a Mac user I haven't touched Vista at all so unfortunately I can't really help with that end of things.