Fly Fusion Forums

Fly Buying For May & June

PlayDoh

Hi, I'm heading in to the city in the next couple days and I'm gonna stock up on some more flies. I'm going to pick up some hooks and supplies to try my own BAW's, and if I had to buy them now I'd pick lots of small BWO's since I have only a couple. I have lots of hare's ears, but I need some prince nymphs and some PT's. I have lots of little midges, but I lose them more then I'd like, so getting more never hurts.

I have a half dozen larger black and gold stones, and a small assortment of streamers. I know where to get what I need, yet I always seem to forget what I 'should' get. I'm still a beginner, and I'm still building my fly collection and I'm far from having 'one of each'. I want to have all the main, reliable flies, and they don't have to be high quality since I lose them too quickly still.

Anyone own a cheap $100+/- Fly tying starter kit and able to make 'decent' fly's? I don't plan on making elaborate flies anytime soon, and I don't expect to get more then I pay for, but sometimes the 'starter kits' are just a waste of $.

So, other then BWO's, PN's, PT's, BAW, Hares ear, stoneflies, midges, what should I get? & When do you start using a hopper-dropper?

If you're gonna start tying don't buy the starter kit, just look up the materials for the usual supects and start there.....(ie....juans,johns,caddis,prince.....maybe a boatman, clouser,leech, and buggers if ya wanna tackle the deer hair). I received one of those kits kits for xmas and ended up with a lot of sub-par materials which will not be used. That said there are probably better starter kits to be had. Also confidence in a select few patterns is better than being overwhelmed by way too many.....from what ive learned so far anyway.

and you could do the dry-dropper thing right now......

Thanks guys. I've heard the same thing about the starter tying kits, so I'll take your advice and go that route. I've gotten Glenbows "bow river essentials" and your right about the great quality. Unfortunately I didn't get to enjoy their quality very long, so until I stop losing flies so often, by either skill or bankruptcy, lol, the buck and a quarter flies are all I need for now.

However I'll look in to it anyways, since I would like some high quality dries for later in the year.

Anyone own a cheap $100+/- Fly tying starter kit and able to make 'decent' fly's? I don't plan on making elaborate flies anytime soon, and I don't expect to get more then I pay for, but sometimes the 'starter kits' are just a waste of $.

I use a $40 vise for the last 5 years and it has been working well for me. You can check out some of the flies I've tied in some of my older posts or in the fly tying section. I'm no pro, but I've been getting a lot better in the last few years, and the cheapo vise hasn't held me back yet. I also have a real ghetto set-up, as I don't have any room in our condo for a permanent tying area. As long as the vise can clamp on to a fly really well, you should be fine.

theres a link about the Danvise on here somewhere. Check that out . I got one for 60$ i think with free shipping to Canada. Took about a week. Full rotary vise. Seems to work well.