Fly Fusion Forums

Vancouver Island Fishing In May

I fly fished the Cowichan at that time of year and enjoyed it, Rainbows and Browns. From what I'm told it is good in May but the water gets too warm afterwards.

Anyone here know where some good fly fishing on the Island around mid may?>

Thanks

I am going to be in Victoria area. have family in duncan so will be there for a few days as well.

I will most likely fish the cowichan. whats the best access point there?

Never fished from the beach before but ould like too. I fish primarily streams

Thanks again

Where on the island will you be? Would you like to fish lakes, streams or beaches? ... ;)

The Cowichan is your best bet and you'll be staying right next to it. The trout fishing can be pretty good in May with some good caddis hatches hopefully. Try a size 14 GRHE during the day and in the evening if the caddis are hatching a size 14-16 EHC is as good as any. Like H20 said, theres both rainbows and browns available...one of the few systems on the island with a population of browns. A bunch of decent spots can be accessed off river bottom road. The local fly shop in lake cowichan or Island outfitters in Vic will sell you a river map with access and trails etc... Its a bit pricey but is worth it and proceeds go to the Roderick Haig-Brown foundation.

If you are looking to fish the beaches for sea-run cutties and want to take a nice day trip over to Saltspring island, try around Fulford Harbour...size 8 rolled muddlers, fry or stickleback patterns....

Good Luck