Fly Fusion Forums

Ducks

Will ducks taking off spook a pool?

From what I've seen, I'd say it depends on the water. On streams like the Bow I'd suggest it doesn't have much of an effect. On smaller streams, I'd say ducks taking off certainly puts the fish down. That said, there are always exceptions.

Guest Sundancefisher
From what I've seen, I'd say it depends on the water. On streams like the Bow I'd suggest it doesn't have much of an effect. On smaller streams, I'd say ducks taking off certainly puts the fish down. That said, there are always exceptions.

My past biology experience would lend me to believe that it is size dependent. If the fish is big enough to feel pretty safe and the water is not gin clear they will probably remain active.

However, many predators come at fish from above like osprey and therefore any activity above them is probably not a good thing at all.

Fish probably do not know if a duck is not a predator anymore than they can distinguish between the shadow of a person fishing and a person walking a dog.

Loons look just like a duck probably to a fish just like a pelican might look like a duck on steroids.

They are probably attuned to being safe than sorry.

Just my thought.

I was just about to cast to a rising trout on a small creek once, when a duck came in and bombed the pool. It swam around a bit and flew off. I decided to cast for the hell of it even though I thought there wouldn't be a chance in hell it'd feed after that, and ended up getting the trout to come up to the surface after all. So the ducks aren't always as disturbing as they seem I guess.

I was out last night where there were about a hundred birds, including some ducks, all around me and on the run that I was planning on fishing. As I approached the run, they all flew away or moved away from me, making lots of noise and stirring up the water in the process. I caught several fish shortly after, but wasn't sure if I would have caught more had they not been there. But still, the fish weren't spooked enough to not take my flies.